Upside Down Bottle Priming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noggins

Reaction score
I'm trying this on a few bottles of my next batch. Has anyone else tried this?

My plan is to take 1 and bottle prime it upside down, then flip it over to refrigerate it, take 1 and bottle prime and refrigerate upside down, and compare the results.

Anyone ever tried this? My only concerns are that the flipping over will shake the yeast all over the place, or the yeast will settle on the inside lip of the bottle, making it impossible to pour without sediment.

My theory is that the yeast should settle into the cap so that when I open it there's no need to decant it when pouring. Not that I haven't mastered the process, but maybe an easy workaround, especially when gifting beers, or having parties that people just can't wait a damned minute for me to finish smoking to pour them another brew...

It'll leave an unsightly ring around the neck of the bottle. I tried it to rouse the yeast in a IIPA. I righted the bottles when chilling them. There was a ring around the neck. Still had to decant, and look at the unsightly ring. Did I mention there was an unsightly ring around the neck of the bottle?

Back