Upright keezer build

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

brehuh

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Here are a few pictures of my keezer build, thanks for the inspiration JonW. I was going to get the same freezer that Jon used but, I was able to find this Kenmore elite floor model for $850. I spent more so I would be able to be in our dining room. The result was better than expected, it looks real sharp. The swmbo loves it. I had to build a shelf to get the proper height for each level.

I followed Smith's guide to beer line length and was a little skeptical, but after the second pour it was perfect. Only need 3.5 feet of beer line for the bottom kegs!

20141016_115848.jpg

20141016_223520.jpg

20141016_223538.jpg

JonW

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Looks great! Wish I had the SS model.

I did 8' lines on all of them so they would be equal when pushing beers at the same pressure.

What's your total keg capacity? 11?

OP
brehuh

brehuh

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
For the beer line I followed Brad Smith's formula, with tap height, beer line resistance, and serving pressure of 10psi taken into account I need 3.5 feet of line for the bottom kegs and 4 feet for the top kegs. The first pour is a foamy due to the warm faucet, but the following pulls are perfect and have a good flow rate.

http://http://beersmith.com/blog/2011/07/14/keg-line-length-balancing-the-science-of-draft-beer/

I want to make or buy tap handles that are clear plastic and can hold the grains I used in the brew.

First pull from my Fat Tire Clone, It's a little under carbed but tastes awesome!

20141022_220221 resized.jpg

Frostbrewer

Reaction score
Thinking about doing this as well.

Curious why it would need to be frostless?

We aren't serving at freezing temps

naturebrew

Reaction score
Nice build, I am looking at a 22 cubic ft fridge to do something similar, is that about the same size as your freezer?

JBlick

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Nice job, brehuh. I was wondering if the digital temp control display is functional on yours. I'm looking to do an upright freezer like yours and JonW, but I would like a temp control display on the front. I'm not sure if pre-existing temp displays like yours can be used or modified to function with an add on temp controller. Thanks!

hifidelity

Reaction score
That's awesome...I saw a similar freezer at Lowe's recently that had been marked down several hundred dollars because of a small dent in the side and was tempted to build something like this. Nice work!

Brian77095

Reaction score
Great job! I would like to know if you were able to mod the freezer to the right temp too. I saw a thread detailing how to mod freezer to be warmer but cant find it. They where analog freezer so don't know if the same can be done here.

At first I was skeptical about finding a 20cuft freezer for 200 but, sure enough after about 3 months of looking I found exactly what I was looking for in great condition. I will be starting a build thread soon.