Insignia™ - 7 Cu. Ft. Upright Freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerfactory

Reaction score
Anyone using this for a keezer? Outside dimensions below. Footprint is a premium for me.

It seems like this one could handle (2) kegs on its flat floor. But I don't think the height would be enough on the interior for another (2) kegs above.

Its got glass shelving... but by the time I put a heavier shelf in place and lost space in flooring/ceiling insulation, etc... I'm not sure my 25" tall kegs plus fittings would work.

Worth a flier to ask... https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-7-cu-ft-upright-freezer-white/6346184.p?skuId=6346184
  • Product Height
    56 3/10 inches
  • Product Width
    21.7 inches
  • Product Depth
    22.4 inches
  • Capacity
    7 cubic feet

I'm just eyeballing the interior picture and.. I don't think youll be stacking kegs in there. That top shelf doesnt look like its removable with the thermostat dial build into it. Who knows, maybe those pin-lock kegs might work? I know they are a little shorter, but fatter. 🤷‍♂️

I'm just eyeballing the interior picture and.. I don't think youll be stacking kegs in there. That top shelf doesnt look like its removable with the thermostat dial build into it. Who knows, maybe those pin-lock kegs might work? I know they are a little shorter, but fatter. 🤷‍♂️
your handle is outstanding - my dogs names are frank and beans.

I am rethinking a compact upright, there are probably good reasons I cannot find anyone using one for a keezer...

:D After the movie Something About Mary, it just kinda stuck with me.

I know people use the big size uprights for keezers and ferment chambers, but they aren't as common as chest freezers. Are you trapped on the footprint of that size for space? Could maybe find a used fridge or something that is deeper. It'd still have a smaller footprint than a chest freezer.

Are you trapped on the footprint of that size for space? Could maybe find a used fridge or something that is deeper. It'd still have a smaller footprint than a chest freezer.

negative - I am not trapped, but I am wanting to be unobtrusive. I've been eyeballing a small space in the laundry room that may go relatively unnoticed if planned correctly. I use a compact fridge (garage) for fermentation and serving. I may pick up a 2nd and just serve 2 kegs out of it.

Ah ok, I see. Might call Best Buy and see if they can pass along the inside dimensions of that little freezer. I can't find any other specs online for it.

In the Q&A section of the link in the OP one user says that the interior is 16” wide and 14” deep and the shelf on the hump is 8” deep. If a homemade shelf was added on top of the hump, extending out to just allow the door to close, it appears, from the dimensions given in the Q&A, that there would be about 36” between the hump and the fixed shelf where the thermostat is located. This would provide enough room for two cornys, either ball or pin lock, if one keg was pushed back into one corner and the other was in the opposite front corner.

In the Q&A section of the link in the OP one user says that the interior is 16” wide and 14” deep and the shelf on the hump is 8” deep. If a homemade shelf was added on top of the hump, extending out to just allow the door to close, it appears, from the dimensions given in the Q&A, that there would be about 36” between the hump and the fixed shelf where the thermostat is located. This would provide enough room for two cornys, either ball or pin lock, if one keg was pushed back into one corner and the other was in the opposite front corner.
Thanks for that Mark - totally missed the Q and A. I think I am going to keep thinking. A compact fridge can get me 2 kegs and still have a freezer section too.

Not sure about that upright freezer but on some the coolant lines are built into the shelves making them almost impossible (safely) to reposition. I think the compact fridge as suggested is the best way to go or finding a used fridge. I took an upright compact freezer and attached an insulated box to the door-less end. That works but does take up more space than a chest freezer would. I also use a repurposed fridge for extra cold kegs.

Back