Upright keezer build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brehuh

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Here are a few pictures of my keezer build, thanks for the inspiration JonW. I was going to get the same freezer that Jon used but, I was able to find this Kenmore elite floor model for $850. I spent more so I would be able to be in our dining room. The result was better than expected, it looks real sharp. The swmbo loves it. I had to build a shelf to get the proper height for each level.

I followed Smith's guide to beer line length and was a little skeptical, but after the second pour it was perfect. Only need 3.5 feet of beer line for the bottom kegs!

20141016_115848.jpg

20141016_223520.jpg

20141016_223538.jpg

Looks great! Wish I had the SS model.

I did 8' lines on all of them so they would be equal when pushing beers at the same pressure.

What's your total keg capacity? 11?

For the beer line I followed Brad Smith's formula, with tap height, beer line resistance, and serving pressure of 10psi taken into account I need 3.5 feet of line for the bottom kegs and 4 feet for the top kegs. The first pour is a foamy due to the warm faucet, but the following pulls are perfect and have a good flow rate.

http://http://beersmith.com/blog/2011/07/14/keg-line-length-balancing-the-science-of-draft-beer/

I want to make or buy tap handles that are clear plastic and can hold the grains I used in the brew.

First pull from my Fat Tire Clone, It's a little under carbed but tastes awesome!

20141022_220221 resized.jpg

Thinking about doing this as well.

Curious why it would need to be frostless?

We aren't serving at freezing temps

Nice build, I am looking at a 22 cubic ft fridge to do something similar, is that about the same size as your freezer?

Nice job, brehuh. I was wondering if the digital temp control display is functional on yours. I'm looking to do an upright freezer like yours and JonW, but I would like a temp control display on the front. I'm not sure if pre-existing temp displays like yours can be used or modified to function with an add on temp controller. Thanks!

That's awesome...I saw a similar freezer at Lowe's recently that had been marked down several hundred dollars because of a small dent in the side and was tempted to build something like this. Nice work!

Great job! I would like to know if you were able to mod the freezer to the right temp too. I saw a thread detailing how to mod freezer to be warmer but cant find it. They where analog freezer so don't know if the same can be done here.

At first I was skeptical about finding a 20cuft freezer for 200 but, sure enough after about 3 months of looking I found exactly what I was looking for in great condition. I will be starting a build thread soon.

Back