Unpasteurized vs. Slightly pasteurized?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeadGuyNick

Reaction score
I am trying to get some cider going. I've got everything ready except the juice.

My two options are unpasteurized apple juice with no preservatives. Or juice made from concentrate that was heated up to 25 degrees celsius. From what I understand that's not fully pasteurized, right?

What would be best? Getting the unpasteurized and heating it up? Get the slightly pasteurized and just go with it?

Edit: One more thing. The slightly pasteurized one says that after opened I should drink within 48 hours. I assume this is normal and it's okay for fermenting?

25 C is room temperature - not pasteurized at all. Use whichever you prefer, assuming both are preservative free.

Wow, you're right. I'm used to reading temp. in fahrenheit. Should've converted that.

Would it be advisable to pasteurize this myself? Heat it up but not boil, then begin the fermenting?

You don't need to pasturize a thing. Sulfites will paralize (not kill) stuff long enough for your yeast to get going. Once the yeast is going, there won't be much food left for the baddies, and the alcohol will kill what's left. Fermentation is known to kill salmonella and e coli, though not mold. So Pappers is right - use what ever you want. Which tastes better to you?

Cool. Then I'm off to go grab a bunch of juice. I'm excited to finally get this going!

Thanks for the help.

Back