Unpasteurized Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnyderCider

Reaction score
I’m planning on doing a batch of hard cider with unpasteurized apple cider from a local farm. So far the only batch that I have done has been with pasteurized apple juice and yeast. Do you need to add yeast to something that is unpasteurized?

You need to make sure it doesn't have preservatives added. Unpasteurized juice from an orchard (sold in 1 gallon plastic jugs like milk or distilled water) usually has benzoates or sorbates and won't ferment.

Well, technically if you don't want to add yeast to unpasteurized apple juice, you don't have to(as long as, like z-bob mentioned it doesn't have benzoates or sorbates). Leave the juice exposed to air to pick up 'wild' yeast, which will do the same thing, fermenting the sugar to alcohol. I would still add yeast as it is more controlled.

If you go to the cider forum and search unpasteurized, you'll be entertained for hours!😉
I’m planning on doing a batch of hard cider with unpasteurized apple cider from a local farm. So far the only batch that I have done has been with pasteurized apple juice and yeast. Do you need to add yeast to something that is unpasteurized?

Back