Unmalted wheat questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoebisch01

Reaction score
I was wondering for those of you that use Unmalted wheat, what type do you use and how do you prep it for mashing? Do you use Hard or Soft, Winter or Spring and how much does it matter?

The unmalted wheat I have used has been soft wheat. Soft wheat is lower in protein than hard wheat, but for brewing purposes this is actual more like barley. I have also used flaked wheat which is wheat flakes where the starch has been pregelatinized. I just run it through my mill with my malt and into the mash. No special handling or preparation.

Dr Malt:mug:

I've used soft winter wheat, whole and uncrushed, as a steeped adjunct in my first attempt at a wheat beer.

It seemed to add a lot of cloudiness, and probably some unfermentables, since the beer was very "thick" and actually quite unattractive when I first drank one. It's been conditioning in the bottle for quite some time, and it's getting better with age, but I'm not sure I want to do the same again.

Jim Karr said:
I've used soft winter wheat, whole and uncrushed, as a steeped adjunct in my first attempt at a wheat beer.

It seemed to add a lot of cloudiness, and probably some unfermentables, since the beer was very "thick" and actually quite unattractive when I first drank one. It's been conditioning in the bottle for quite some time, and it's getting better with age, but I'm not sure I want to do the same again.

Without trying to be a smartass, isn't 'steeped adjunct' almost an oxymoron?

My understanding was that adjuncts require special mash schedules to convert the starches. If you didn't do this, perhaps that is why you have a chill haze in your beer?

No offense taken, this was my first attempt at a wheat.

When we don't know what the hell we're doing, we do some stupid things.

I don't know, but anything one adds is an "adjunct". Like candi sugar, and the like. Some are steeped, some are not.:confused:

Hey Jim,

Well, I wouldn't say you have done anything stupid. A bit of chill haze is a pretty minor problem in beer, and it won't affect your taste. Plus, experminentation is at the heart of this hobby, in my mind!

Something to try in the future is either wheat malt extract, or try partial mashing with base malt grains. If you like, I have found some really good online articles on the subject that I have found very helpful that I would be happy to pass along. Cheers!

I don't know, but anything one adds is an "adjunct". Like candi sugar, and the like. Some are steeped, some are not.

Any source of sugars or starches other than barley might be a bit closer. Spices and such wouldn't be called adjuncts. If an adjunct is starchy, it needs to be mashed.

Latest posts

Back