Unknown Soldier Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinnan5150

Reaction score
So for Christmas my sister bought me a "Beer Garden Terrerium" from Dune Craft. It's basically a seed kit that has barley, wheat and hops to grow yourself.

The funny part is that at no point in the directions does it mention how to malt the barley and wheat prior to using them to make beer. The seed packet on the hops doesn't list what kind they are or what %AA they will potentially be.

I have never malted before but I figured I would give it a try. Has anyone ever done this with this terrarium before? I figured if I could successfully malt it I would make an Unknown Soldier Ale with the malt, wheat and hops. Unknown because I don't know what the hops are. I guess I could contact the company to find out but I think it would be more fun not knowning and seeing how the beer turns out. Maybe I'll contact them once I make the beer. I guess first I have to plant the seeds.

I'll update the thread in the fall once I've harvested everything and attempted to malt the grains.

Picture 001.jpg

Nice thread! I promise to update with photos on this thread and hoping to see it through bottling. I can't promise that I will but I will try.

I saw on your thread that Revvy was a little irritated at the amount of threads regarding this....hopefully by fall I can bring it round full circle so no one can mock. Even if it turns out like crap at least I'll have given it an effort.

And if I give up completely....m'eh!

I will plant tonight and update with photos throughout the process from planting all the way through the 6 bottles of beer I anticipate this will make.

OK so here is step one: Soak the hop seeds for 24 hours before planting them with the barley. The wheat gets planted 2 weeks after everything else. They kit came with a whopping 7 hops seeds.

image-3195901756.jpg

Might be semantics, but the box doesn't look like it ever says anything about actually making beer. It just tells you that you can grow plants that are used to make beer. Hence why there's nothing about malting the barley.

HokieBrewer said:
Might be semantics, but the box doesn't look like it ever says anything about actually making beer. It just tells you that you can grow plants that are used to make beer. Hence why there's nothing about malting the barley.

I thought that too but if it grows it can be harvested and malted. I don't see why it couldn't work

I thought that too but if it grows it can be harvested and malted. I don't see why it couldn't work

Oh it could definitely work. Just stating that's why the box didn't mention anything regarding making the beer.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if those were ornamental hop.

Not trying to be a downer or anything :ban:

Step 2: Put your junk in the box....or your hops and barley. Wheat will be planted in two weeks. Supposedly it is supposed to sprout within a week or so.

image-3724157232.jpg

I think the project is cool but I'm sorry to be a buzzkill. I believe we grow hops from rhizomes as the seeds can produce both male and female plants, and one of those you don't want.... (male?) Hope it works. sounds fun.

hopmomma said:
I think the project is cool but I'm sorry to be a buzzkill. I believe we grow hops from rhizomes as the seeds can produce both male and female plants, and one of those you don't want.... (male?) Hope it works. sounds fun.

I never had much hope for the project. Just thought I would try it because it was free. If it goes kaput I am not out anything and it is not very time consuming.

Back