Unican Lager kit...huh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prothumia

Reaction score
A friend of mine gave me an OLD Unican brew kit for Lager. It is all in German, but this company is from England and no longer exists. It sounded ridiculous, but I thought I might give a go for fun.
The kit only contains one can of malt syrup and a packet of yeast.
Translating the German, it says to heat up water and add the malt. Then, it says to add 3 POUNDS of sugar into the wort. This sounds insane.
Has anyone tried a Unican kit? Should I try to follow these directions or use my gut: boil for an hour, cool, add yeast, and ferment.
:confused:

If I were going to add anything it would be DME and 3 lbs would not be out of the question if it were a 5 gal batch. I am assuming this is a hopped extract too.

Well,seeing as how the recipe calls for that 3lbs of sugar,it's most likely accounted for in regard to the final product. Although if I was gunna add that much sugar,I'd use dextrose. Might come out less cidery. By the by,how "old" is old?...

Well, let's just say Unican is out of business.
It's kind of a funny story...I'm doing it to pass the time while I get my brewing supplies together. We just moved to South America and I lost a lot of my supplies on the way down. I'm slowly gathering everything, but my landlord gave me the kit to satiate my need to brew! :mug:

Always wanted to take that rout myself. Anyway,an old LME can will likely be darker than intended. But as long as it was sealed well & the can was lined,it should be fine. I have a pick of my Summer ale in my gallery that was made from a 2 year old Cooper's OS lager can. The way I made it,it came out like a sessionable Salvator doppel bock in color & flavor. So never say never. That beer got the 3 thumbs up frg Gary on Home Brewer TV it turned out so good.

Yes, it does look dark. I have nothing to lose and until I get some real ingredients, I can't brew otherwise. Thanks for the encouragement. I hope you make it down to South America one day!

Back