Unhopped Malt Extract WAY after expiration date

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AbeLogan

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm not planning to brew with this by any means, but I thought I'd post this just to see what I might expect.

I recently started home-brewing again after a 13 year hiatus. I use Mr Beer and I'm happy with it. (Say what you will; it's simple and I like it.)

When I pulled out the old kegs to start brewing again, I came across a REALLY old can of unhopped malt extract. It has a best-by date of October 2008 (lol) and the top and bottom of the can are slightly bulging.

As I said, there's no way I'm putting this into a batch of beer, but I'm wondering what might happen if I tried to open it. Would it burst? Or maybe have some alien monster growing inside of it?

I've never had any sort of canned product that was this far past the expiration date, and just thought it'd be interesting to see what the heck might be in this thing a decade after it should have been used.

Attachments

• 15337004195936393194563029028982.jpg
    15337004195936393194563029028982.jpg
    766.7 KB · Views: 84
  • 15337004699056104046782785808667.jpg
    15337004699056104046782785808667.jpg
    959.7 KB · Views: 97
Ok, so I'm not planning to brew with this by any means, but I thought I'd post this just to see what I might expect.

I recently started home-brewing again after a 13 year hiatus. I use Mr Beer and I'm happy with it. (Say what you will; it's simple and I like it.)

When I pulled out the old kegs to start brewing again, I came across a REALLY old can of unhopped malt extract. It has a best-by date of October 2008 (lol) and the top and bottom of the can are slightly bulging.

As I said, there's no way I'm putting this into a batch of beer, but I'm wondering what might happen if I tried to open it. Would it burst? Or maybe have some alien monster growing inside of it?

I've never had any sort of canned product that was this far past the expiration date, and just thought it'd be interesting to see what the heck might be in this thing a decade after it should have been used.
It takes pretty good pressure to bulge a steel can like that. If you must open it, poke a vent hole with a punch or screwdriver. Use a towel that you don't want anymore to divert the inevitable spew of ... G_d knows what. Definitely don't breath, ingest, or touch anything that comes out. I'd worry about botulin toxin. Kinda like natural nerve gas, I understand.

If it were mine, I'd wrap it in that towel I mentioned and drop it in a dumpster. On the other side of the county. Good luck!

Botulism is definitely a concern. Any bulging can is bad news regardless of the cause. Best to just dispose of it, the risk is not worth morbid curiosity.

Back