Unexpected taste comparison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerluvva

Reaction score
New to the forum, first of all thanks to all for the helpful information!

My first batch is done with its first week of bottle conditioning now, and I thought for experience I would sneak an early bottle. This is a munton's gold highland heavy no boil kit, made from the kit, by kit instructions, some of which I know better by now to follow :)

I was surprised that the aroma and to a lesser degree the taste of this struck me as very similar to yuengling porter. Although my bottles are a little yeasty yet, or so I think.

Any opinion on this? Trying to infer the common ingredients...

Thanks,
Beerluvva

2nd batch under fermentation, a first experimental self recipe:
3 lbs munton's dark dme
1/2 lb crystal 60L
1 oz simcoe hops
WY1335 British ale II (pitched it all--was for 5 gal)
1.060 og measured (approx. 3 gal batch)

I would label the above a variant of porter, agreed? We'll see how it tastes..

Thanks very much...that first batch was a testament to doing stuff "wrong" and coming out ok on the other side...was certain I wasn't getting any fermentation, but the forum here talked me off the ledge. Turned out ok, though my ABV lower than kit would have predicted. Not surprised at that though given my "process" :)

I've never brewed a "no boil" kit, but it sounds like you made beer. Try another sample every week and note the differences in taste. It should be pretty good in four weeks+

Back