Understanding grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azimmer1

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi. I have been all grain brewing for a while and have been doing fine. Tinkering with recipes etc. Is there a good comprehensive review/book on grains? Seems like so many choices. Example comparing carastan to carapils to caramunich. Crystal 20-120 etc. Basically a primer to get an overall handle

Thanks

Andy

The MB website has pretty good descriptions too. Most brewing books have at least some description as well. How to Brew and Radical Brewing come to mind.

Not aware of a Book, not to say that there isn't one out there. You can get a brief description of the majority of grains over at BYO's Resource Guide. Other than that, just do some trial and error, taking good notes. I am not at the stage yet, but some people can munch on the grains themselves and get a feel for what a beer will taste like.

I am not at the stage yet, but some people can munch on the grains themselves and get a feel for what a beer will taste like.

That certainly gives you an idea, but the final product after mashing, boiling, and fermenting will be a bit hard to determine. Not to mention that when you chew malt with the husk, a good bit of flavor comes from the husk. This will be significantly lighter in the final product.

M_C

I always end up leaning on google search when I'm intrigued about a grain, because there's so much info out there, like the brewsupplies.com grains profile chart, brew dudes has a few grains profiles, the homebrewtalk wiki, and the amount of information about a specific grain may be more or less thorough than others in each of those places, or others. Haven't looked too hard, but haven't seen a comprehensive book about grains either.

Latest posts

Back