Underpitch, think I'll Have Problems?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morkin

Reaction score
This past weekend, I brewed an All Grain Blonde Ale. Everything went great!.... well not everything.

I rehydrated my Safale US-56 just fine like I always do. But because I and the other guy I was brewing with had some homebrews while brewing, we had a problem. I poured about 4/5 of all the reydrated yeast into the carboy, but at the last second, he moved the funnel and I spilled the rest.

Nowthen, if I rehydrated properly, which I did, would missing that last little bit mean that I underpitched? IF so, would I know by missing my FG? Finnally, will I still have enought left to carb the beers?

Yeasts grow and multiply. The amount you throw in isn't the amount you end with. SOmeone may correct me on this, but the only reason for pitching as much as possible (within reason) is to give your yeast the best change to propogate and out compete other organisms. If you have 1 viable yeast cell, theoretically, you could still ferment a batch or beer. But it probably wouldn't out compete other things for the resources in your wort. I don't think (from my limited knowledge) that you have anythign to worry about.

Latest posts

Back