Unbelievably fast fermentation with starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
So in preparation for my RIS in a week I've been building a stepped starter since I don't have a stirplate. I've been making starters for IPAs and such for over a year now with just the shaking method and it's worked out fine but this time things got crazy. After making my first step I added the second step and within an hour with just shaking intermittently it started foaming over as in it was hitting high krausen or peak fermentation an hour after pitching the new wort onto the first step. Then same thing happened with the 3rd step, crazy fermentation within an hour, and with both that lasted for about 24hrs then it all died down, I could swirl and swirl and barely anything would happen. I've never seen this before, is this normal for stepped starters like this, I'm using wlp007 for this beer. As it sits now there's about 1 1/4" of yeast on the bottom of the jug.

Back