uh oh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

619Brewer

Reaction score
So I went into my garage today to pour a beer with a buddy of mine to find my growler sitting out of the kegerator with an airlock in it.

OH CRAP! When I was shifting around my kegs earlier this week I had taken out the growler with my yeast slurry from my last Pale Ale batch so I could have room to maneuver. I guess I had forgotten to put it back into the fridge and it had sat in my garage for a day or two.

I thought for sure it was ruined, but then I thought, well it didn't ever get too hot, maybe 72 at the warmest and it never got too cold either, maybe dropped to the 60's or even high 50's at night. It' had a airlock on it filled sanitizer.

Is it ruined?

I'm sure it's fine. If you're worried make a starter with some of it and see how it does.

OH CRAP! When I was shifting around my kegs earlier this week I had taken out the growler with my yeast slurry from my last Pale Ale batch so I could have room to maneuver. I guess I had forgotten to put it back into the fridge and it had sat in my garage for a day or two.
Is it ruined?

So, unless I'm misreading, this sounds like a starter? I let mine rock out at ambient every time, then I crash and pitch.

70s isn't ideal for long term storage of yeast but it's not a hostile temp. It should be good to go.

Sent from my SPH-M840 using Home Brew mobile app

Absolutely not... Should be good to go. I often make starters and leave them at room temp for a week until they're needed. Decant and pitch. Any longer and I'd refrigerate.

Back