uh... I just realized I screwed up...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slantedbolt

Reaction score
I was thinking last night, and I screwed up before I pitched the yeast in my first batch.

I never took a gravity reading... I just added the suggested amount of water to the wort after cooling it.

How screwed am I?

I would say your not screwed at all. Just take a few readings in a week or so to see where it is finishing at. Only thing that could happen if it was low gravity at the start is a lower abv. if it was higher then it would be a higher abv. I would not worry at all.

I could probably top that one on the opposite end of what you did!

I added water until I got to my gravity reading I wanted then pitched.

Now, when I go to bottle, I have no idea how much volume I have to calculate my priming sugar.

The game's afoot, yeast!

Edit: BTW, I just noticed: Rock on! A fellow Vermonter!

I would say your not screwed at all. Just take a few readings in a week or so to see where it is finishing at. Only thing that could happen if it was low gravity at the start is a lower abv. if it was higher then it would be a higher abv. I would not worry at all.

That is reassuring... Thanks for that. Well, higher ABV isnt always a bad thing :p

I kind of just eyeballed it when I added the water so we shall see...

Just noticed you are from Vermont!!!

Vermont is my happy place when I have a bad week at work. I take a trip up to So VT and usually run up RT 5 and RT 30 just for the drive and to get good micro brews at the COOP in Brattleboro that I cannot get here in RI. I would love to live there someday. I would miss my 30mb internet connection in RI though but thats about it.....

If it's an extract batch, you can safely assume you hit your target gravity assuming you used the same amount of water and all the extract the recipe called for. Very hard to miss OG in extract brewing.

Just noticed you are from Vermont!!!

Vermont is my happy place when I have a bad week at work. I take a trip up to So VT and usually run up RT 5 and RT 30 just for the drive and to get good micro brews at the COOP in Brattleboro that I cannot get here in RI. I would love to live there someday. I would miss my 30mb internet connection in RI though but thats about it.....

I live in the brattleboro area :)

You guys have Berkshire Brewing Company beers down there?

I live in the brattleboro area :)

You guys have Berkshire Brewing Company beers down there?

Yes we do my friend works for them as their Northern RI Sales Rep. nothing like a Coffeehouse Porter on nitro. I always wanted to go to Flat Street Pub aka Berkshire Brew Pub but they are never open when I am around. Damn them for 4pm openings on Sunday's.

Yes we do my friend works for them as their Northern RI Sales Rep. nothing like a Coffeehouse Porter on nitro. I always wanted to go to Flat Street Pub aka Berkshire Brew Pub but they are never open when I am around. Damn them for 4pm openings on Sunday's.

LOL! Berkshire brew pub :p

For this area, they have a large selection of beer. The food there in the tap room is awesome. And who cant enjoy a two sided beer menu with over 40 beers on tap :)

And yes, the coffeehouse porter on nitro is Moses in a bottle. But if that is Moses in a bottle, then the BBC Stealrail Extra Pale Ale is Jesus in a bottle.

I have been a huge BBC fan since they first popped up here.

Do yourself a favor, next time you are in the Brattleboro area, go out to west brattleboro, and go the the Discount Beverage & Redemption Center. They have an awesome beer selection. Best selection in a 45 mile radius. Just google them for an address :)

I guess the next time I plan a trip it will be a RT 9 trip then. My wife likes the Hogback Gift shop so it's right on the way there and back. Thanks for the tip. Maybe I can get some fresh Long Trail there since the distributor in RI is horrible.

oh and as you can see my little home brewing operation is named West River Brewing for yes that West River in Vermont. My logo is the covered bridge in West Dummerston. Which I tend to take the family swimming in the summer.

oh and as you can see my little home brewing operation is named West River Brewing for yes that West River in Vermont. My logo is the covered bridge in West Dummerston. Which I tend to take the family swimming in the summer.

I saw that name, and I said to myself "Theres a west river in RI?"

I live about a whole 2 minutes from that bridge :p

Next time you are up, we should do a beer swap. I have a couple names thought up for my beer, such as Black *****, named lovingly after my black lab mix Ella :p

Next time you are up, we should do a beer swap. I have a couple names thought up for my beer, such as Black *****, named lovingly after my black lab mix Ella :p

Will do it's always random and never planned out. Most of the names I give are of vermont areas I got to. Most of my first brews were named after trails at Mount Snow like Ripcord IPA, Beartrap APA.

Gotcha.

Well when you come up, you need to get in the Tap Room man. The Greek lamb burger is amazing...

I will PM you when we head up the next time. We need to plan a trip anyways to get some stuff for Christmas and I need to get to the coop for some items i just cannot get down here in RI.

Hey, sorry for the delay (it was bed time here)

I'm originally from the Chittenden County area. Been in Japan for about 3.5 years now

Latest posts

Back