Typical Belgian Ales Fermentation Temperatures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbhokie

Reaction score
I have seen a lot of varied input on different style fermentations. Most of the time I ferment at about 66-68. With Belgian ales (which I love), a lot of people seem to suggest higher fermentation temperatures. I am just finished an Abbey, and am going to do a Belgian Strong this Sunday. Question being for such style ales that are higher adjunct and more complex, and also desire the ester flavors more than the hops, should I ferment more around 75 to be more traditional for the Belgian special, Trippel, Dubbel, Strong, Abbey styles

I guess I should make it clear that when I say I ferment at 66-68, I am not speaking of ambient temperature but including the yeast exothermic temperature and the temperature of the wort.

My last Abbey, I had an Ambient starting of 67, and exothermic activity increased it to around 72-73. I am wondering if perhaps I should be a bit higher for these styles.

Ive had good results with belgians by starting cool (low to mid 60s) and raising it through a week of fermentation to the low 70s so it dries out. But I don't like super fruit.

If you can keep the actual temp 75 it should be fine (but not ambient as ferm temp would be much higher). If not I would go with 66-68 as the ferm will raise it.

I've brewed a lot of Belgians/Saisions, and I think I have only scratched the surface of possibilities. White labs does give a guide as to what their yeasts will do at different temperatures, but I think it is still very vague.

I like too start and keep the yeast about 74 F, and then after about a week I like to ramp the temperature up to the 80s. Over 75 F, at the start of fermentation, I get concerned about excessive amounts of fusel alcohols. However, I believe the Dupont strain likes to be at 80+ right from the start (I've never used it).

I'm using the Chimay strain for the first time today (wlp500). I'm starting at 70 F, and will increase the temp 2 degrees each day for 5 days..

Back