Twist off bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandyAB

Reaction score
So I bought a capper and some caps and then proceeded to try and cap a few used beer bottles that I had lying around. The bottles were twist offs. I wasn't really able to get a good seal. Can I use twist offs?

no, for the capper you bought you must use smooth lipped bottles. You're going to need twist caps to have a seal on the twist bottles. Just stand by the recycle line and offer chaps 6 cents a bottle instead of 5 :p

Or buy full ones. They are often filled with beer. :)

That's how I got mine lol :mug:

Staying after for a work-hosted function Friday myself, should be able to get one to two hundred there too. There are everywhere if you look around enough.

lol it's actually a dime a bottle in Alberta

Apparently a bench capper will do the trick. I have never tried one though.

Also not all twist off bottles will work something about thicker being better.

The only bottles that I have found that aren't twist offs locally are Coronas. I imagine there has to be some other brand

Here is a fresh thread talking about the different cappers.

I could tell you a few you'd fine in the midwest US, but not Canada. I spent a summer in Regina, SK, doing an internship, but I can't remember the name of the beers I drank for the life of me!

There are varying opinions on this issue. Pry-off bottles are much easier to cap than twist offs. That being said I have a bench capper and an endless supply of twist-off bottles from friends but have had a hard time finding pryoffs (I'm also in Alberta for whatever thats worth). I have capped 25 batches of twist off bottles and have had 3 that didn't carbonate up properly, 2 of those were due to chipped bottle rims and the other I'm not sure.
So it certainly is possible to cap twist offs with a bench capper, it may be possible with a wing capper but I haven't done it so I can't say either way.

I use twist-off's all the time, and provided I have the right UNIVERSAL caps, it works fine.. even with my wing capper. I did however buy different caps once, and apparantly they weren't UNIVERSAL. Ended up dumping half a batch because it oxidized. I'm slowly switching to 500ml pry-offs for all my bottles, and kegging.

Just a word to the wise here:

The majority of Canadian bottles (from Labatt, Molson, etc) are refillable twist-off's. American ones generally are not refillable, and as such, the glass on American twist-off bottles (and in most cases, crown tops) is thinner and that's why there's a higher instance of breakage with US twist-off's vs Canadian ones.

I used to fill Canadian twist-off's regularly with minimal breakage (if any) but I tried that in the US... No go.

M_C

Back