twist off = bad!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheat King

Reaction score
is there a way to tell if a bottle is twist-off or not while on the shelf??? i try to buy bottles that arent twist (obviously) but sometimes get an unfortunate surprise when i go to drink. is there some sort of master list out there of twist and nontwist bottles? or an easy way to tell???

Duck away from the workers and security cameras and try to twist one off a little. If it goes "psssst" it's a twist-top. Someone will sure be pissed when they buy that flat beer!
Also, some bottle return places will trade you your twist offs for some pop offs for 1:1. I at least try to tip them when thay do that for me, however.

I know these wern't exactly what you were looking for, just some ideas. :mug:

Look for the spiral thread impression on the edge of tthe cap. You'll notice it if you look closely. Also, most non twist-offs have a similar shaped top to fit a capper, with a second lip about a half inch below where the crown seats. Twist-offs don't need it.

I agree with brewsmith. You can almost always see the spiral thread impression on the side of the cap.

chillHayze said:
Duck away from the workers and security cameras and try to twist one off a little. If it goes "psssst" it's a twist-top. Someone will sure be pissed when they buy that flat beer!
Also, some bottle return places will trade you your twist offs for some pop offs for 1:1. I at least try to tip them when thay do that for me, however.

I know these wern't exactly what you were looking for, just some ideas. :mug:
Bad idea. That's dishonest. Does your mom know that it's past your bedtime?

Just look on the crimp. It's easy to tell because there are slanted impressions on the crimp corresponding to the threads.

I've bottled dozens of twist-offs and have never had a bad one.

parasonic said:
Bad idea. That's dishonest. Does your mom know that it's past your bedtime?

Just look on the crimp. It's easy to tell because there are slanted impressions on the crimp corresponding to the threads.

I've bottled dozens of twist-offs and have never had a bad one.

Yeah that first one didn't come out as sarcastically as I'd originally hoped. Still theres no need for name calling however.

I got the sarcasm...

Here's a real pisser. I bought some fancy-shmancy soda pop for the wife and I. I've been wanting to have a couple of clear 12oz bottles for some of my brews (I know the dangers of skunking, I keep them well out of the light).

Anyway, I'm careful, I check to make sure it's a pull-top. It doens't twist off, it has to be pulled.

But the threads? Screw-threads. This damn soda pop company ("Archer Farms") put crown-top caps on threaded bottles. Now, this ought to give me confidence that *I* can do the same, but they probably have a more fancy machine than my little red winged capper. But, goddamn pisser, they USED THE WRONG FRIGGIN CAPS.

Take a good look at the brews you have in the fridge now before you make your next trip to the store. You'll be able to tell the difference then, that way you'll know what to look for next trip. (Yeah, the horizontal lines on the edge of the cap indicate the threads on the bottle.)

:off: Chill, are those basic burgers on the grill or something special? Regardless I always want a burger every time is see your AV. :mug:

Ize

Ize said:
:off: Chill, are those basic burgers on the grill or something special? Regardless I always want a burger every time is see your AV. :mug:

Ize

:off: Mostly basic - steak salt, sea salt, roasted red peppers, bannana peppers, adobo cajun seasoning, onions, garlic, and oh, pepper of course. That constitutes a "basic" burger at my house. Two of those are unseasoned, for SWMBO. And those are two in the middle (so they are cooked medium/med well for her) of my 1960's hibachi charcol grill. It was my gramps's, lol. And that's 3lbs of meat for 7 burgers. yumm!

chillHayze said:
:off: Mostly basic - steak salt, sea salt, roasted red peppers, bannana peppers, adobo cajun seasoning, onions, garlic, and oh, pepper of course. That constitutes a "basic" burger at my house. Two of those are unseasoned, for SWMBO. And those are two in the middle (so they are cooked medium/med well for her) of my 1960's hibachi charcol grill. It was my gramps's, lol. And that's 3lbs of meat for 7 burgers. yumm!

Oh man. Those sound GREAT. :rockin:

Ize

Back