Twist-Off Cap Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmanStan

Reaction score
Anyone out there figured out a way to use twist-off cap bottles successfully for bottling their homebrew? I've heard for years they cannot be used, and it's best to stay away from them, and of course I have, but now I'm wondering.....

Might they be replaceable on twist off bottles?
Not sure how safe for long term though.
I don't know. That's one of the reasons I was wondering about this. Maybe the caps simply will not reseal good enough to hold up to the pressure of bottle conditioning, I don't know. I will be bottling some next week, so I'm thinking about trying one or two bottles to see what happens. I kinda figured somebody out there knows a trick or a real fix.

My understanding from the many other times this question has been asked is that the capping machinery used for twist offs uses dies and pressures that can't be replicated in a homebrew setting. Typically, the glass is also thinner.

It's so easy to find the non twist off bottles at bars and other local places for free. And even when you buy them outright from online beer supply places they don't cost much.

I'd expect that you can cap twist off bottles with a decent bench model of crown capper. However you might find that the several that don't cap properly cause you too much embarrassment when you unknowingly give the occasional bad capped bottle to your friends over the course of each batch.

More often than not, I'd expect that more of the twist off bottles will fail to cap and hold pressure properly than the non-twist off bottles. But maybe not that many more. But hey, every bottle of beer is precious... Right?

I suppose since the questions comes up regularly that I'll have to try bottling with them one day. However, now I'm going to have to look for twist off bottles!

Crimping on the thin threads does seem like it'd be an issue more than the thick rim of a non-threaded bottle. Maybe they just get too pitted over the course of several capping events.

Last edited:
My understanding from the many other times this question has been asked is that the capping machinery used for twist offs uses dies and pressures that can't be replicated in a homebrew setting. Typically, the glass is also thinner.
It's so easy to find the non twist off bottles at bars and other local places for free. And even when you buy them outright from online beer supply places they don't cost much.

I'd expect that you can cap twist off bottles with a decent bench model of crown capper. However you might find that the several that don't cap properly cause you too much embarrassment when you unknowingly give the occasional bad capped bottle to your friends over the course of each batch.

More often than not, I'd expect that more of the twist off bottles will fail to cap and hold pressure properly than the non-twist off bottles. But maybe not that many more. But hey, every bottle of beer is precious... Right?

I suppose since the questions comes up regularly that I'll have to try bottling with them one day. However, now I'm going to have to look for twist off bottles!

Crimping on the thin threads does seem like it'd be an issue more than the thick rim of a non-threaded bottle. Maybe they just get too pitted over the course of several capping events.
I know some of you are laughing at me seemingly kicking a dead horse, I'm laughing too, but it seems to me that there is a cap out there somewhere, say off a medicine bottle, that will screw on a threaded beer bottle snugly. And if you put in a silicone seal, say like a Grolsch gasket or something of the like, you could torque it enough with a good twist to seal a conditioning bottle of beer without fear of it leaking down. I was kinda hoping someone has done something like this with success that they would share with us. As far as bottles go, I'm not hurting. I've got several hundred swing-top style bottles and countless crown cap bottles, so I'm not doing this for need of bottles. Any ideas anyone?

I'm not laughing.

I doubt you'll find anything that screws on and performs well. Besides, I don't have one to look at, but they might be multiple threads on the bottles and not a single thread. That will need a lugged cap.

I do think you'll be able to cap them with a crown cap. But probably only a few times. With the other options out there it's just not worth the trouble. Send your threaded bottle to the re-cycling plant.

I tend to only notice it's a twist off after I have levered the cap off most times.

I tend to only notice it's a twist off after I have levered the cap off most times.
They have "twist off" written right there on the crown. At least they did back when I was buying brands that used twist of caps. But given a church key close by, I use an opener too. :mug:

I tried these on twist off bottles. No threads just a very tightly fitted silicone rubber cap. Hey, they worked so products are out there. Before plastic become king old style "Fresca" soda caps worked well but that's when Dinosaurs still roamed. Good luck.

Attachments

• 1652356303916950219091.jpg
    1652356303916950219091.jpg
    531 KB · Views: 0
Anyone out there figured out a way to use twist-off cap bottles successfully for bottling their homebrew? I've heard for years they cannot be used, and it's best to stay away from them, and of course I have, but now I'm wondering.....
I used 0.5l pet sparkling water bottles for years. Big plus, the bottles can come with almost perfect brewing water!

Only thing, get yourself a piece of rubber-cloth, that you can use for screwing the cap back on, otherwise you might not be able to fully tighten it.

I accidentally saved & used a 12 pack of twist offs. I just assumed they were the pry-off type and never looked to close. They worked with regular caps and held pressure until i drank them. I only noticed after, when cleaning & peeling the labels. I dumped them. I have plenty of regular type, and there's no reason to press my luck.

I tried these on twist off bottles. No threads just a very tightly fitted silicone rubber cap. Hey, they worked so products are out there. Before plastic become king old style "Fresca" soda caps worked well but that's when Dinosaurs still roamed. Good luck.
Thanks much. I knew there had to be somebody here that isn't afraid to think out of the box. Something like this is why I posted this thread. The idea came to me recently when I remembered back to the 80's when I kept several plastic caps in a kitchen drawer just to screw onto a beer I didn't want to pour out. They screwed down real tight and your beer would keep without loss of carbonation. When I remembered that, I thought that maybe it would work nowadays for conditioning homebrew in a threaded bottle. Can't remember what the caps came off of but it was probably the wife's soda. What is the name of the caps you show here, and where did you get them? Anybody else got something like this?

They're called "reusable beer caps" I ordered them from Amazon. On threaded bottles the rubber grips onto the fine threads & holds the pressure.

Attachments

• 1652369719541691440461.jpg
    1652369719541691440461.jpg
    713.6 KB · Views: 0
I have used them when my batches yield 50 to 52 brews. I case 48 then experiment with a few. The rubber caps came from the exoeriment. God luck.

I have used them when my batches yield 50 to 52 brews. I case 48 then experiment with a few. The rubber caps came from the exoeriment. God luck.
Thanks Joe P. I'll check these out. I have a few screw top bottles I've been wanting to test but like everybody else, have been reluctant. I'm sure there are other caps out there that will work, it's just finding them.

Yeah, when the old stand byes work why change? I get that but there are different types of caps these days. I even thought why glass? Heavy FCC plastic certainly hold carbonation. Open any bottle of soda or carb water. Ill try those next but not for awhile.

I have used twist-off bottles with good results. Use new crown caps and your standard capper. It works fine and you can even twist off the caps to open them if you like.
I spoke with a customer rep at a plant that manufactures new crown caps for twist-off's. He said many of their customers were home brewers that were successfully using their caps. He did recommend I test them with my bench capper and is sending me some samples to test. Will see what happens. Believe it or not, I have a cap from a brake fluid bottle that fits and torques down snugly. Should work. Planning on trying that too. Yes, I cleaned it real well.

I have followed this thread with some interest. Back when I bottled, I wondered whether my regular caps would work on twist-offs. I had always assumed that they wouldn’t until I went to a bbq at a friend’s place and he served up his homebrew in twist-offs.
However, I never tried it. I had plenty of good bottles and was always leery of the thin, glass edge of the twist-offs. I have had a couple bottles fail during capping, and it’s a sad thing to see a infant beer lost so tragically. I was more afraid of a little piece breaking off and the possibility drinking later; that was the real issue for me. With so many heavy bottles available, it wasn’t worth it to me to try capping the thin bottles.
I can see where the replacement plastic caps could be useful if you wanted to check the progress of your carbonation on a batch. In the past, I have consumed a few beers prior to their optimum due to opening a little bit too early. A couple with replaceable caps in each batch could allow you to monitor the progress, (maybe). Not sure if subsequent tests would be valid after the first opening though.

Tasting was the main reason i decided to try the rubber /plastic caps. Turns out the caps held good carb without blowing off, (which i really thought they would.) In closing, i have had enough factory twist off brews that barely had any carbonation well before the expire date. I also ALWAYS listen for that classic "hiss" sound as I open my own brew. The caps worked well on twist off bottles. As good as factory brews anyway.

Tasting was the main reason i decided to try the rubber /plastic caps. Turns out the caps held good carb without blowing off, (which i really thought they would.) In closing, i have had enough factory twist off brews that barely had any carbonation well before the expire date. I also ALWAYS listen for that classic "hiss" sound as I open my own brew. The caps worked well on twist off bottles. As good as factory brews anyway.
I ordered a package of those caps from Amazon to test on a couple of twist-off bottled beers from each batch. I'm skeptical, but nothing ventured is nothing gained. I really feel there are caps out there that you can screw on to seal and be usable time and again, it's just finding them. Something like that would really make bottling day go a lot easier and quicker.

I ordered a package of those caps from Amazon to test on a couple of twist-off bottled beers from each batch. I'm skeptical, but nothing ventured is nothing gained. I really feel there are caps out there that you can screw on to seal and be usable time and again, it's just finding them. Something like that would really make bottling day go a lot easier and quicker.
That would be a nice find. Good luck in your search and let us know if you ever find any that are of good use !

They're called "reusable beer caps" I ordered them from Amazon. On threaded bottles the rubber grips onto the fine threads & holds the pressure.
Hey Joe. My reusable caps came today. There was so many different options for these type caps @ Amazon that it is hard to choose which one to get. Unfortunately the option I chose will not work and are probably not the same as you have. They look very similar to the ones in your picture, even multi-colored, but these things are so soft and mushy they will never hold through the process of carbonation. I actually just put one on the High Life I'm drinking right now and I can flick it off with my finger with very little effort. I was expecting they would be hard rubber which I could see that possibly working. I'm not even going to try these. The one's I bought are $7.99 for 18. I just noticed in your picture that yours were $11.99. and the colors are slightly different than yours, so there is a difference.

Yep, you can use twist off caps for homebrewing. I know a lot of people that do. There are a couple things to be aware of. First, you'll have a higher chance of oxidation over time than you would with a regular beer bottle, because the seal is not as good. Second, they are not always a good idea for styles of beer that need extra time in the bottle. Third, you should be aware that they are more expensive, because you'll have to buy a capping machine, or hand capper.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, you can use twist off caps for homebrewing. I know a lot of people that do. There are a couple things to be aware of. First, you'll have a higher chance of oxidation over time than you would with a regular beer bottle, because the seal is not as good. Second, they are not always a good idea for styles of beer that need extra time in the bottle. Third, you should be aware that they are more expensive, because you'll have to buy a capping machine, or hand capper.
Yeah, what you say is true. I've done some experimenting with several different brands of twist-off bottles and thus far I've had no failures, but I don't trust them for long period storage and like a lot of people have mentioned, the glass is thin, and I cringe every time I cap one and every time I open one. I'll continue to use some twist-offs when bottling each batch but the lions share will be bottled in regular bottles and flip-top Grolsch style bottles.

Back