Tweaking a APA with Munich

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrimBrewer

Reaction score
Hi
I’m still verily new to home brewing and have a question on grain bill tweaking.

We’ve been using the same grain bill for our pale ale recipe, for a few brews now, and only been playing around with the hops or the yeast. Target is normally 44L wort from one boil, split into two fermenters. Each with different dry hopping.

We planning to do a double batch this time, so two boils and I want to change the malt for one of the batches.

Our normal grain bill for 44L :
10kg 2Row
0.6kg Carapils
0.6kg Crystal 40

Specialty malt is therefore about 11%

How big a difference will swapping 1kg 2Row for 1kg Munich make?

Thanks

Hi
I’m still verily new to home brewing and have a question on grain bill tweaking.

We’ve been using the same grain bill for our pale ale recipe, for a few brews now, and only been playing around with the hops or the yeast. Target is normally 44L wort from one boil, split into two fermenters. Each with different dry hopping.

We planning to do a double batch this time, so two boils and I want to change the malt for one of the batches.

Our normal grain bill for 44L :
10kg 2Row
0.6kg Carapils
0.6kg Crystal 40

Specialty malt is therefore about 11%

How big a difference will swapping 1kg 2Row for 1kg Munich make?

Thanks

I don't know if you will think it will be a big difference or not- but it will definitely have a more malty aroma and a firmer malt backbone, and take on a reddish hue. I like it for many APAs.

Thx Yooper.
I want to taste the difference but also not be overpowered. I will just have to wait and taste.
I botteled a small ipa batch yesterday with normal malts listed here with addition of biscuit malt.
After the big brew session this weekend the plan will be to make a small batch black ipa

Back