Thoughts on this Pastry Stout grain bill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LewisBrew

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

New to the Forum, been brewing for about 5 years, but recently made the step up to All Grain and have 7 really solid AG Batches under my belt. AG has made me fall in love with brewing all over again!

Anyway, I'll cut to chase, I'm wanting to make a sweet, high ABV (between 12-13%), Pastry Stout. It's gonna be a Vanilla, Raspberry and Chocolate flavour. Want it to be super decadent, type of beer you can have one or two, but that's it.

Here is what I'm thinking for the Grain bill:

9KG/20lbs of Golden Promise Pale Malt - 62%
2KG/4.4lbs of Crystal Medium - 13.8%
1KG/2.2lbs of Carafa III - 6.9%
1KG/2.2lbs of Chocolate Malt - 6.9%
1KG/2.2lbs of - Golden Naked Oats - 6.9%
500g/1.1lbs of Dingemans Special B - 3.4%

Hops: 56g/2oz of Magnum @ 60 Min

Any thoughts of this? Do percentages look ok? And yes I realise, it's a whole ton of grain haha! Planning to add Fresh Vanilla at the start of the boil and then Raspberry flavourings near the end.

9KG/20lbs of Golden Promise Pale Malt - 62%
2KG/4.4lbs of Crystal Medium - 13.8%
1KG/2.2lbs of Carafa III - 6.9%
1KG/2.2lbs of Chocolate Malt - 6.9%
1KG/2.2lbs of - Golden Naked Oats - 6.9%
500g/1.1lbs of Dingemans Special B - 3.4%

Personally, I would choose either carafa 3 or special B...wouldn't choose both. Seems a bit of overkill for little flavor contribution at your percentages.

Only my opinion:

I think Carafa + Special B would be fine.

If you haven't used 13.8% Crystal before, you might want to back off on that a bit. But some people like a lot of crystal, other's don't.

Also, don't hesitate to go to 10% oats. That really adds a silky mouth feel. You won't even taste it until its a much higher percentage.

If you haven't used 13.8% Crystal before, you might want to back off on that a bit. But some people like a lot of crystal, other's don't.

This was also going to be my suggestion. Back the Medium Crystal back a bit and bump up the oats.

I'd also contemplated dropping in some rye malt, and maybe replacing a bit if the chocolate barley with chocolate rye.

Back