Turkey Fryer troubleshooting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webbie99

Reaction score
I bought a Bass Pro Shop turkey fryer that has been advertised on sale. I put it together and I can not get it to work properly. I think there is a problem with the regulator. There is a small blue flame, but no pressure and not "real" flame. Any ideas what may be wrong?

Webbie

Did you open the propane valve all the way?
Is your propane tank full?

If you can say yes to both of these, then I would guess that the problem is with the regulator, like you said. I really can't say as I've never had a prblem like that with mine.

Yes, the tank is full and wide open. I can get a small blue flame, but it has no oomfp to it. It would never get the pot hot. When I crank down the regulator nothing really happens. I also checked for leaks and there were not any. I am beginning to think that this thing is just a piece of junk.

make sure you burner is hooked up tight with the propane valve shut down and your regulator turned all the way down. Open the tank valve, then open the regulator up.

I had a situation similar to yours once. I found that the orifice on the burner was plugged from a previous boil-over. The orifice on your burner could be plugged from fryer grease or some other gunk.
The orifice is normally located right where the flexible line threads into the burner. It has a tiny hole that allows the propane to mix with the air prior to burning.
If it is plugged you can remove it and clean it out with a small piece of wire.

Thanks Processhead, but it was brand new. No previous boilovers. As a matter of fact, neither cooker i got would burn correctly. Am I doing something wrong, or is there better odds of two bad fryers?

webbie99 said:
Thanks Processhead, but it was brand new. No previous boilovers. As a matter of fact, neither cooker i got would burn correctly. Am I doing something wrong, or is there better odds of two bad fryers?

I bought the same one from Bass Pro Shop, and while it's not the most impressively built thing (hey, it was just $29.99!) it does work nicely. When cranked, mine makes a ferocious roar and boils 6 gallons rather quickly.

Have you tried yours with a different propane tank?

seanhagerty said:
make sure you burner is hooked up tight with the propane valve shut down and your regulator turned all the way down. Open the tank valve, then open the regulator up.

Yeah, if you haven't done so, do this. Turn off and disconnect your tank and regulator. Making sure both tank and regulator are turned off, connect regulator and tank. Open gas valve all the way, then turn regulator up.

Sometimes people don't do this and it trip the OPD on the propane tank.

Lars,
My Father in law had two tanks we tried on both turkeys. On my regulators the arrow on the regulator for closed points counter clockwise. So the correct sequence is turn close tank valve, hook up regulator with knob turned all the way counter clock, open tank valve fully, light burner, then crank regulator clockwise to ingcrease the pressure and make the burner start burning? The directions that came with these things are no the greatest.

Yeah, its pretty much that simple.

there should be a rotating plate/disc that allows you to control the air entering the burner. make sure that isn't closed tight.

I'd also open it wide and look inside...I'm wondering if something like a bit of metal flashing leftover from the casting process is blocking the main gas flow, and something as simple as a coat hanger could poke it and break it loose.

Well guys thanks for the help. This was a prime example of following directions even though they were wrong. Manual said that fully clockwise was closed (this was wrong) when I looked at the actual regulator in the light today it was clear. I turned the knob all the way COUNTER clockwise and opened the tank valve. Held flame to burner opened regulator by turning CLOCKwise and presto... nice roaring flame. Needless to say I feel really stupid. I can't believe that this is what caused no turkey yesterday. Oh well... live and learn. THanks to everyone for you helpful suggestions.

webbie99 said:
Well guys thanks for the help. This was a prime example of following directions even though they were wrong. Manual said that fully clockwise was closed (this was wrong)...
That's why I had no trouble with mine...I never bothered to read the instructions! Anyhow, I'm glad you've got it sorted out.

I had the same problem with a cheap one I got at target for $30. Sometime the flame was real small and turning the regulator on or off didn't do anything. What I realized is that the nob on the regulator was slipping or something and the valve wasn't actually turning. If I pushed down on it and then turned it started to work.

It was wierd at first but I got the hang of it just by messin with it.

Good luck.

Yep, being and engineer by education, and a general contractor now, reading the instructions is always my downfall. Any how, both are working correctly now. A day late, but working all the same. Now that I know they work it is time to cook some beer.

Back