Turduckhen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jesse17

Yep....I tell you what...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Someone told me about it at work, it's a Turkey, stuffed with a duck, which has been stuffed with a Cornish game hen.

I've only had duck once, and that was some perverted form in a Chinese restaurant. So, I'm not sure if I like duck or not, but I understand it's quite greasy, which makes sense. The duck should keep the turnkey moist.

I'm not sure what the game hen is for though, unless it's just there to give it that cool name, or to see how many things you can stuff inside each other.

Anyone ever heard of this or tried it? How do you serve it, and how's it taste/work?

I've only heard of it via a John Madden skit that Frank Caliendo does.

Sounds interesting though!

I had this one from the Cajun Grocer last year for Christmas. It rocked, I had seen it on the food channel and everywhere I looked this place kept popping up. I had the Seafood Jambalaya dressing one. :mug:
turducken_closeup.jpg

Somebody brought on to christmas dinner this year, and I missed it. It looked like a plain turky to me. I alway wanted to try it, but by the time I knew what it was, too much food, not enough belly room. I heard it was good though.

ohiobrewtus said:
I've only heard of it via a John Madden skit that Frank Caliendo does.

Sounds interesting though!

Yeah don't you watch football on Thanksgiving?? In the days of Madden / Sumerall on FOX they had a Turducken every year.

I've tried it. Friend of mine who works at a butcher's shop kind of uses it as a signature dish. It's a really unreasonable amount of poultry in every bite.

They do it a lot here. Usually 4 - 7 birds.
It's a skilled and lenghthy job.
The cost of the meat can be $100+ and the finished product from a supplier can be $300+

Judd said:
I think of it as a percentage. 100% poultry is too many percent.
When I have turkey its 100% poultry, All the turdukhens I have seen or had came with some sort of stuffing.
When you buy a T-bone it's 100% beef, is that too much beef too? :D

SuperiorBrew said:
When you buy a T-bone it's 100% beef, is that too much beef too? :D

Well - No. No, it's not. I don't know how to defend my assertion that turduckhen has too much poultry, but it does. I'll take that conviction to the grave. It's just too much.

I should clarify. It's not that there's too much poultry in every bite, although there is that too. It's that there's too much poultry, total. When I see a stuffed bird, I don't usually expect it to be stuffed with two more birds. It's unnecessary. Extravagant. Too Much Poultry.

Edit: poultry is a fun word

I had never heard the word "turducken" before, but as it turns out to be a type of food, I am greatly relieved to learn that turd doesn't feature anywhere in it.

Danek said:
I had never heard the word "turducken" before, but as it turns out to be a type of food, I am greatly relieved to learn that turd doesn't feature anywhere in it.

good one

I've tried it. It wasn't anything special.

I've had it also (the supermarket variety- it was a gift...) and it wasn't that great. I would probably not search it out again.

I personally think it's a fad food tbh. I'd prefer either the Turkey, the Duck or the Chicken done properly each on it's lonesome :). But, that's just me :D. I did see the inventor on that show Bizzare Foods. Iirc the guy can bone all three in under 5 minutes flat, it was pretty damned impressive.

zoebisch01 said:
I personally think it's a fad food tbh. I'd prefer either the Turkey, the Duck or the Chicken done properly each on it's lonesome :). But, that's just me :D. I did see the inventor on that show Bizzare Foods. Iirc the guy can bone all three in under 5 minutes flat, it was pretty damned impressive.

I can't even make it 5 minutes trying to bone 3 things at once. :drunk:

Back