Trying someone else's Homebrew - etiquette??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even better tell him to check this website out, so much more helpful info then joy of brewing. Not saying its a great book it is (own it) but sometimes this place is more helpful for specific one on one Q&A

Whether it be food, drink, art, or anything created, if someone asks me 'What do you think?' I give them an honest criticism; what's bad about it, then what's good about it, then tell them what I think may help reduce the bad part.

As far as I'm concerned, if someone asks me what I think I'll tell 'em.

I would suggest that, rather than giving him a critique, you give him some knowledge. If you want to help him out then buy him a copy of the Complete Joy of Home Brewing or How to Brew. Tell him you just wanted to thank him for the beer and tell him how much great information and how many great recipes are in those books...

Now THAT just rocks! I love your attitude :mug:

Remind me to get your address so I can send you a bad beer :D:cross:

Wow long day at work....

All excellent points! I think I'll bring him some of my next batch, I didn't have anything at this time is why I didn't last night.... I love all the stories too...keep em coming,....

Well off to camping!
Y'all have a great long weekend... Happy brews!

I agree, I mean you can apologize like. "I'm sorry Bob (random name) but I have to tell you this beer is....spoiled...infected....est" Tell him ways to make it better, if he gets angry than its his misplaced pride.

Lol
... How on earth did you guess the name?... That is too funny.

Ok, lots of good advice in previous posts, in addition to some pretty funny lines.
What I would do, from a perspective of a taster and also a brewer, would be to first point out the positive elements of the brew. Next, I would briefly touch on any shortcomings, and quickly follow up with some tips or an offer to have a Brew Buddy day.
I have given some of my best and worst beers to BJCP certified judges and asked for totally honest opinions. I'm ready for it because I know the standards. The last thing I would want is to kill the desire in a newbie because of hurt feelings. They might not be ready for that.
Finally, think about your relationship with the person. If it is your Mom, you damn well better rave about the beer.

+1 on finding nice things to say about it unless he directly asks for constructive criticism. I gave some to my former brother-in-law when he was visiting for a family reunion. He'd brewed beer some time ago. He was very nice about it and told me everything he liked about them. Then I told him that they were all works in progress and that I'd like to know what I need to improve... THEN he let me have it and my beer has been nothing but better for it. He was actually the first person who actually got it through his head that I WANTED to know what was wrong with it so I could improve it. So, if the guy wants that kind of input and asks for it, give it to him. Otherwise, discretion is the better part of valor.

How would you respond if you were invited somewhere for dinner and the gravy was lumpier than you prefer or the meat a little overcooked?

If your friend asked about the carbonation or some other aspect that you could offer constructive criticism to that's fine. But other than that you should just be a good guest IMHO.

Great comparison. You wouldn't criticize dinner that someone cooked for you (or at least it would be rude if you did), and I'd think of this as the same thing. Unless of course they say, "Hey, somethings not right with this, can you help me?"

I'd also offer to have them come over your house to brew or bottle. Offer some of your beer, and perhaps it will help them become better brewers.

This is an interesting thread. The only thing I would add is that even if someone asks you for your honest opinion, your basis of expertise should probably be established on something other than "I like my homebrew". Afterall, how do you know folks aren't being polite to you when they say yours is good?

I usually try to stear the conversation towards a give and take on brewing techniques I have read about, rather than a specific critique of a specific beer. I just don't feel qualified, at the moment, to provide that sort of information.

Though I agree with most in this thread, if your opinion is not asked for, just choke it down and say thank you.

Maybe I'm just rude.

I'd tell him what's wrong.

Life is too short to lie to people about stuff like this.

There is no downside for me in being honest:
1) If he gets mad , he won't make me drink his bad homebrew.
2) If he doesn't get mad, he'll make better beer to have me try.

It's a win-win.

Maybe I'm just rude.

I'd tell him what's wrong.

Life is too short to lie to people about stuff like this.

There is no downside for me in being honest:
1) If he gets mad , he won't make me drink his bad homebrew.
2) If he doesn't get mad, he'll make better beer to have me try.

It's a win-win.

or another possibility...

3) You look like a ******-bag that can't play nice with others.

I'm usually pretty honest about it, but I'm never a dick about it.

When having another homebrewer taste my brews, I tell them I want them to be completely honest. That way I get to brew better beer and they get to try better beer.

If it is your Mom, you damn well better rave about the beer.

Well, my kids don't "play nice" about MY beer! Of course, my daughter doesn't like beer except for some Scottish ales, and Wee Heavy. My son only likes Guiness style beers, so he said my oatmeal stout is "ok".

Now, my son-in-law drinks every one of my beers, no matter the style, with gusto. His favorite beer style is "free". :D

Well, my kids don't "play nice" about MY beer! Of course, my daughter doesn't like beer except for some Scottish ales, and Wee Heavy. My son only likes Guiness style beers, so he said my oatmeal stout is "ok".

Now, my son-in-law drinks every one of my beers, no matter the style, with gusto. His favorite beer style is "free". :D

That's funny.
I always loved everything my mom made. I would imagine if she had made beer, it would have been awesome.

Interesting situation. I've always wanted honest feedback, even from a BCM drinker that doesn't know better. My brewing buddy and I are always swapping brews to try, and giving honest feedback to each other. Plus, I always take samples of my latest batch to my homebrew club that's full of award-winning brewers. Those guys are brutally honest with their feedback, and I get tons of ideas and learn new techniques from it. Granted, we're all pretty tactful, but the message gets across.

I guess my opinion on it would be to be honest, but tactful, and let him know what you like about it, and what might be missing or overdone. IMHO, if you can't take criticism on your batch, then you need to keep it to yourself & not share it.

I try to encourage honest feedback. I don't expect everyone who tries my beer to like it and I tend to watch people's facial expressions when they taste to see what they think. I tend to make strongly flavoured beers, so if someone doesn't like the flavor it usually shows up in their facial expression no matter what they may say. I haven't had a chance to try much homebrew since I started brewing myself, but I know that I like to know if someone doesn't like mine just as much as I like to know if they like it. if they have taste that is very different than mine I would often prefer they do not like my beer. It also means I don't have to share it and there is more left for me and the people who do enjoy it. It isn't even always about constructive criticism so much as simply getting a handle on exactly what I have made and who I am most likely to be able to share it with in a way that they will enjoy.

The reason that I mentioned a book rather than this site is that a book is relatively low on the commitment to beer nerdage, and is more of a useful thing to have while brewing than websites. I always print off any useful tables or techniques that I find on the internet and stick them in my brewing binder. Partly because I'd rather spill beer on a book than on my laptop.
Plus, It's honestly better to approach this site with some knowledge going in. I'm sure that many people have been put off by asking simple questions and being treated like idiots by some people on the site (Who seem to have forgotten that, at one point in their brewing history, they knew as little as the newbs.).
It's possible that they may be brewing idiots, but they don't get any better if they're scared off.

Back