Trying new recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timm747

Reaction score
Hey guys, I wanted to get your opinion on this. I was gonna head to the store and pick up these ingredients but wanted to make sure the recipe looked decent. I scaled it in Beersmith so want to run it by someone who knows what it should look like. Thanks.

10 Gallon Batch:

14.9 lbs uk 2 row
11.2oz crystal 40L
11.2oz crystal 60L

.90 oz chinook (boil 45 min)
1.2oz kent goldings (boil 10 min)
1.2oz fuggles (boil 5 min)

Dry hop with 2oz Centennial in each corny keg for 14 days.

Thanks!

Tim

It looks like a grainbill for an American amber or for an English bitter, but the hopping is an unusual mix of UK/US hops.

I'm not a fan of fuggles' earthiness (tastes like dirt to me!) but I like EKG. I think that anything brought to the beer by the UK hops will be completely covered by the citrusy centennial dryhopping, though.

I'd consider not using centennial to dryhop and instead maybe willamette/cascade mix or EKG if you want to preserve some earthiness given by the fuggles and EKG.

I was told it's an English IPA. I like the idea of the Willamette/cascade to preserve some earthiness. Thanks Yooper!

I was told it's an English IPA. I like the idea of the Willamette/cascade to preserve some earthiness. Thanks Yooper!

An English IPA wouldn't be bittered with chinook (which I do like) but instead with maybe challenger or target or another UK hop variety. I think with a 45 minute of chinook, you'll have some resiny chinook flavor. I love it, but it might not be "English". The centennial hops in an English IPA might cover up the earthy hoppiness of the English hops and so leaving them out is a good idea. Just replace them with something else that fits better.

I do an all-EKG English IPA that really is good. Here's mine:

10 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 81.63 %
1 lbs Wheat, Torrified (1.7 SRM) Grain 8.16 %
12.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 6.12 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 4.08 %
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [6.20 %] (60 min) Hops 21.8 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [6.20 %] (30 min) Hops 16.7 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [6.20 %] (15 min) Hops 10.8 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [6.20 %] (5 min) Hops 4.3 IBU
1 Pkgs London ESB Ale (Wyeast Labs #1968) [Starter 1000 ml] Yeast-Ale

+1 to 1968 yeast... fantastic flavor, huge fan in my ESB's and other "english" beers.

Ok, so I went into Beersmith and I'm changing my brewday up dramatically.

Would this be a better American IPA? It's a Morebeer that I scaled to 10gallon from 5.

21 lbs Pale Malt 2 row US
5 lbs Crystal 10L
10 oz Columbus hops (used thru
* 2 oz 60 min
* 3.9 oz 5 min
* 3.9 oz 1 min

I like hoppy beers like Loose Cannon IPA, Flying Dog SnakeDog, etc.

Also, the recipe calls for whirlfloc tablets. I have some Irish Moss, can I use that instead?

Ok, so I went into Beersmith and I'm changing my brewday up dramatically.

Would this be a better American IPA? It's a Morebeer that I scaled to 10gallon from 5.

21 lbs Pale Malt 2 row US
5 lbs Crystal 10L
10 oz Columbus hops (used thru
* 2 oz 60 min
* 3.9 oz 5 min
* 3.9 oz 1 min

I like hoppy beers like Loose Cannon IPA, Flying Dog SnakeDog, etc.

Also, the recipe calls for whirlfloc tablets. I have some Irish Moss, can I use that instead?

5 pounds of crystal? Way too much IMHO.

Well it was an extract that I converted to ag and then upped the batch size to 10 gallons from 5. Maybe there was too much converting going on?

When I scale from 5 to 10 gallon, it changes the crystal 10L from 1lb to 2lbs 10.7 oz. Then when I convert it to all grain it jumps it up to 4lbs 5.1 oz.

Well it was an extract that I converted to ag and then upped the batch size to 10 gallons from 5. Maybe there was too much converting going on?

When I scale from 5 to 10 gallon, it changes the crystal 10L from 1lb to 2lbs 10.7 oz. Then when I convert it to all grain it jumps it up to 4lbs 5.1 oz.

For an IPA, you'd want no more than about 1.5 pounds of crystal total in a 10 gallon batch, although that's still too much for my taste. Some of my favorite IPAs have no crystal malt at all, but .75 pound in a 5 gallon batch is alright.

Ok, COMPLETELY new recipe. I found it in Beersmith called Inglewood IPA. It goes like this:

22lbs 2 Row US
14.6oz Crystal 60L
4 oz Crystal 20L
7.3oz Victory Malt
14.5oz White Wheat Malt

1.75oz Columbus -60min boil
1.75oz Willamette - 15min boil
2.73oz Cascade - 10min boil

It's an American IPA. Can I just bump up the oz of the hops to use all of the package or will that completely ruin the recipe? The batch was 11 gallons that I scaled down to 10 in Beersmith.

Thanks!

Tim

Back