Trub removal.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Genometrix

Reaction score
Hello not a total beginner at brewing, but I am with conical fermenters. So i decided to try the catalyst fermenter and was just wondering after the first trub removal there is still quit a bit. How long should i let it settle before trying to remove more of it?

As the material separates and falls out of suspension the makeup changes.
Trub will settle out first and that makes-up the majority of what you see in the first day or two.
Then as time passes the layers start to be more yeast than trub.
Make sense?
So you probably got most of it out with the first dump
At least that is what seems to happen in my fermenter.
It's your call if you want to keep dumping but that does reduce the volume of beer in the long run.

If you are using collection jars on the bottom of the valve to dump the trub, then you will waste a lot of beer. If Catalyst uses a standard mason jar screw for a collection jar then you probably should have put a very small jar on it after the first trub dump so you would not be wasting as much beer.

But as mentioned it's your call. That way you can say it's your beer!

Some of the other conical fermenters with sanitary fittings and sight glass will allow you to dump even small amounts of trub easier through a hose barb fitting or some other narrow fitting that isn't so wide that the beer pushes past the trub.

For most beers, trub in the FV isn't a big issue. Even if you didn't dump any of it. But then your racking procedures or other things you do to get it out of the FV might have to change. Maybe if you left your beer in the FV for several months, trub would be an issue. But I know that for at least six weeks, large amounts of trub have been of no consequence for me.

There's nothing wrong with the Catalyst. I use it and love it. I don't usually dump trub, unless i am dry hopping or know the particular recipe produces extra trub. I use an 8oz jar for most of my batches. If you don't already, get the "sample port", that will help you when it comes to packaging day and won't have to disturb the trub/yeast that has settled down in the cone and jar.

There's nothing wrong with the Catalyst. I use it and love it. I don't usually dump trub, unless i am dry hopping or know the particular recipe produces extra trub. I use an 8oz jar for most of my batches. If you don't already, get the "sample port", that will help you when it comes to packaging day and won't have to disturb the trub/yeast that has settled down in the cone and jar.
Was not aware they had a specific sample port for it, I had installed a regular plastic spigot for that purpose but i will definitely get theirs.

Yeah, you have to take a spade bit and drill into the cone to install it. Totally worth it, haven't used the bottling attachment since. The SS Brewtech brew bucket 3/8" racking arm HERE is the same thing as the one offered by CAB, just a blue knob instead of black. Sometimes one is cheaper and/or in stock when the other isn't.

I use an SS Brewtech conical, and I love it! It has a butterfly valve at the bottom, making dumping the trub easy. The most important thing is to restrict the flow, which is easily accomplished by attaching a spare piece of silicone tubing to the valve. This allows for better flow control, and minimal loss of beautiful beer.

Back