trub removal problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefmatt34

Reaction score
i have been brewing for about 6 months and have had varied success removing trub from my brewpot to my fermenter. Does anyone have a foolproof technique to help with this "problem" for me? Also what opinions on effects of it do you all have on not removing all of the trub ifor the primary fermentation? Thanks in advance.

Alot of us leave the trub with no negative effects. It will settle out.

I don't see it as a problem at all. I just pour the whole pot in my fermenter and let time take care of cleaning it up. My beers come out crystal clear so it must be working.

Some people on here swear by the "whirlpool" method, I just dumped the break with the wort into my fermenter and when I racked I would seperate it then. Now that i brew outside in a keggle, I just leave tha last little bit in the bottom of my keggle and don't worry about transfering every drop over.

bradsul said:
I seem to be posting this once a week now. :) Look up the whirlpooling method on the wiki. Here is the result of mine.

THANK YOU! that was the pic I had in mind when I posted, but for some reason i didn't see it (probably because i mispelled my search or somthing stupid like that:D )

bradsul said:
I seem to be posting this once a week now. :) Look up the whirlpooling method on the wiki. Here is the result of mine.

Nice. Did you still get the break material? It looks like a hop pellet pile to me. I tried whirlpooling my last batch, but after waiting for it to settle, the break was evenly distributed across the bottom.

EdWort said:
Nice. Did you still get the break material? It looks like a hop pellet pile to me. I tried whirlpooling my last batch, but after waiting for it to settle, the break was evenly distributed across the bottom.
I use a full tablet of irish moss (packaging recommends 1/2 tablet) which seems to get everything into that mass. I do get the cold break into the fermenter since I use a CFC, but I've read that is beneficial to yeast health.

I whirlpool also, but never get a cone in the middle - but do get an even layer on the bottom.

The colder the wort, the faster the particulates will settle out.

For ales, I chill to 55 F, then whirlpool.

After 15 minutes, my wort is crystal clear going into the fermenter.

whirlpooling has never worked for me like that. I have stirred and had the liquid all the way up the sides of the brewkettle but it didn't settle into the center like in the picture.

I have a 2 gallon plastic pale that I submerge in sanitizer and then line with a paint strianing bag. I pour the last gallon or so into this and remove the bag and it catches quite a bit of trub.

I do try to get a whirlpool to work and it does for the most part. I finally tried to use a 1/2 inch stainless cane to siphon the clear wort from the boiler and that works good. Many have mentioned that the stuff in the boiler does not wreck the beer, and after just dumping the boilers cooled (80F) contents to the carboy I find the beer still tastes great. That being the case I would not get all upset if some of the trub gets into the carboy (fermenter). When you transfer to the keg or bottle is when you should not have sediment.

I put a sanitized paint strainer over the fermenter/bucket when I drain from the kettle. That gets enough of the "big stuff."

To make the whirlpool work, you actually want a slow turning of the liquid while the sediment settles. If you stir it into a frenzy, you re-suspend all the particles and then you lose rotation before all the solids have settled out.

Some other guys use a nylon mesh bag or hunk of steel wool on the end of their racking cane (or whatever they use to siphon wort from the kettle).

TL

My hop trub goes to the center when whirpooling but most of the cold break just evens out on the bottom. I rack from the side of my keggle and stop siphoning when I see the wort turn cloudy.

P1030112.jpg

Thats a pretty cool strainer I got at the local Sherwin Williams paint store. That indentation on the side is great for being able to see beneath the thing and monitor wort flow. It catches a great deal of the trub, even when using pellet hops, and I think it cost like $4 or $5. I've used it for only 3 batches so far, but there's no signs of wear yet, and after I rinse it out in the sink I just toss it in the top rack of the dishwasher to clean. That indentation on the side also allow the thing to be easily dunked in a bucket of sanitizer for a little while before use. Anything that gets past this into my primary I don't worry about, as it'll settle with the yeast cake.

Here's how it fits:
P1030113.jpg

You want to get the stainless steel scrubbers to use in your keggle. I don't think it will work will with a large amount of pellet hops, and won't keep out hot break much (unless the whole hops form a filter on the outside)

PAD35.jpg

Unless I am making a beer that I do not want to have a good flavor on I put a handful of whole leaf hops in the bottom of the strainer and run the wort through it. It compacts down and catches the majority of material. It's worked well enough that I never even tried the whirlpool method. It's a little trick that I adopted from Palmer's method of transfering the wort from the pot to the fermenter. The strainer with the hops filters out material and aerates the wort with a couple of passes.

I'm not going to obcess over trub in the fermenter any more. My last SNPA clone I did not whirlpool and we'll see how that does. From everyone I hear it does not matter and settles out anyway. The Hydro jar was yummy.

Back