Trouble with online retailers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CBurgles

Reaction score
Anyone else having issues with the online homebrew retailers as of late? It seems like every time I place an order lately it either arrives missing something, with an incorrect component, outside of the 2 day guarantee window, or something isn’t in stock. And then the customer service experience has been dreadful. Either offerings little to no help, untimely responses, and just this “aw shucks, sorry for the inconvenience” attitude that offers nothing of value.

It could be Murphy’s law, or just coincidence. Maybe I’m just extra sensitive because this latest debacle is costing me a brewday this weekend which I took extra time off from work to fit in.

Haven't had anything terribly late in recent years. Occasionally I get something that arrived a day or two beyond the expected arrival date, but I always order soon enough that it doesn't mess up my brew day. I get a few with Amazon sometimes--a couple days behind and even that is often due to UPS or USPS getting behind. But orders from Morebeer and William's always get to me in a reasonable time frame.

If you're having problems from a particular vendor and tried to work it out with them but haven't received satisfactory responses, you can always start a thread in the Company Reviews section.

There are a couple of vendors out there that print shipping labels immediately and then don’t ship for several days. I get a same day shipping notifications, check tracking a couple days later, and it just says label received, or something along those lines. I’m not sure if printing labels early is just how they operate, or an intentional attempt to misrepresent processing time

I have had issues but it was only with one vendor. I stopped doing business with them after a few screw ups on different orders. The screw ups were missing items, wrong items, and expired yeast. This was over the course of three orders.

They would correct the screw ups. However, it gets old real quick.

I must not of been the only one because they announced they were going out of business a few months later. They have since reopened with new owners. I wish them luck but I won't be back.

It might not just be online retailers but a symptom of the low unemployment rate. It is hard to get quality employees for this kind of work. For example, I have a customer in an unrelated business that runs a warehouse. They open positions for people to pull and ship inventory. Of 100 people that apply only 50 can pass the required drug test. Of the 50 left they offer the job to only 25 accept the job. The following day only 8 of those actually show up to work.
They have enough orders to pull and ship that they need 25 people so with 8 they ship late.

It might not just be online retailers but a symptom of the low unemployment rate. It is hard to get quality employees for this kind of work. For example, I have a customer in an unrelated business that runs a warehouse. They open positions for people to pull and ship inventory. Of 100 people that apply only 50 can pass the required drug test. Of the 50 left they offer the job to only 25 accept the job. The following day only 8 of those actually show up to work.
They have enough orders to pull and ship that they need 25 people so with 8 they ship late.

That's pretty much the way it is in this part of the world. Anyone who can pass a drug test and show up for work every day can find a job that is full time, pays a living wage, and offers at least some benefits. Low/no skill, part time positions are either going unfilled or are taken by retirees who want to supplement their retirement income.

Mickey Ds is paying $12.50/hr; Home Depot, Lowe’s, Wally World are paying close to that and there's a lot of gray hair wearing the colored vests in all of those stores.

I have never, ever, had an issue with Ritebrew.
Ever.
Been ordering for years from Neil. Shipping half way across the country doesn't bother me, as it is still cheaper or similar to LHBS prices and Ritebrew double crushed when I wanted that.

Outside of a couple of totally random eBay transactions over a decade ago I honestly have never had a big issue with ordering stuff over the 'net. I have my favorite sites that I do repeat business with and they are consistently competent at their function, which is about all one can expect...

Cheers!

I noticed the OP doesn't say what retailer(s) he's been having issues with, but that's OK....
I've bought stuff from More Beer, Northern Brewer and Farmhouse Brew Supply without any problems. I buy from LHBS when I can.
Perhaps the OP should try a new vendor.
It might not just be online retailers but a symptom of the low unemployment rate. It is hard to get quality employees for this kind of work.
US employers have been addicted to low wage labor for a long time. Median income has been stagnant for 20+ years, until recently. Some employers just refuse to pay higher wages. Low unemployment is a good thing for people who actually have to work for a living. Before I go off on more of a tangent and get banned by the mods, I'm going to go relax and have a homebrew....
:off: (I'm guilty)
:mug:

I noticed the OP doesn't say what retailer(s) he's been having issues with, but that's OK....
I've bought stuff from More Beer, Northern Brewer and Farmhouse Brew Supply without any problems. I buy from LHBS when I can.
Perhaps the OP should try a new vendor.

US employers have been addicted to low wage labor for a long time. Median income has been stagnant for 20+ years, until recently. Some employers just refuse to pay higher wages. Low unemployment is a good thing for people who actually have to work for a living. Before I go off on more of a tangent and get banned by the mods, I'm going to go relax and have a homebrew....
:off: (I'm guilty)
:mug:

Not fully ready to name names yet... this latest company I’ve had positive experiences in the past and they have a good reputation so I’m hoping they can make it right before I fully lose my ****. But I’ve heard of some similar grumbling of the same sort with this company as of late after having years of solid service. The other company has made good with everything and then some. But as one of the other commenters said earlier it gets old fast.

All of my orders from

BrewHardware
Austin Homebrew
BrewersHardware

Have been great. +1 for supporting the troops and shipping to APO.

More beer - considered placing an order many times but with shipping can usually find it cheaper somewhere else.

Northern Brewer and Midwest - overpriced and won't ship to APO.

RiteBrew - won't ship to APO.

Amazon - usually good deals with Prime shipping but also an evil megacorp.

Bargain Fittings - recently discovered that they do ship to APO but have never used before.

Back