'Tropical Wit' recipe critique / advice please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StittsvilleJames

Reaction score
I am going to make the following "Tropical Wit" on Saturday. I'm going for something you would drink in the shade under a palm tree, on a white sand beach, gentle island breeze in your hair, watching the bikini bodies and relaxing with some reggae beats on a hot Caribbean afternoon.

5.5 gal
og - 1.047
ibu - 16.7

4.5 lb - (47.3%) - Pale 2-row
3 lb - (31.6%) - wheat malt
2 lb - (21.1%)- toasted wheat flakes

mash @ 148 - 75 min

.25 oz Galaxy - 45 min
.25 oz Galaxy - 10 min
1 oz coriander - 5 min
.5 oz bitter orange peel 5 min
.5 oz tangerine peel 5 min

WLP 400 (Belgian wit) - 1 L starter

The question is, should I use the other half oz of Galaxy at flameout, or as a dry hop? I've not used it before, so was wondering what the consensus is for when to use it?

Anybody have any advice, criticisms, or anything else, hop related or otherwise?

Thanks for your comments!

I'd mash a little higher. You don't want a wit to be too dry. I typically mash my wit's around 151-152, especially with that starting gravity. I think this lends a bit of residual sweetness that is common for a wit and lends to body that I like in a wit.

otherwise I like the recipe. Interested to hear how the toasted flaked wheat does.

If you're interested, some Amarillo hops at whirlpool or dry hop will add some orange bouquet you might like.

What format is the coriander in when you add it? 1oz of whole/roughly crushed coriander is less coriander than 1oz of powdered coriander.

You're looking at 1.009 FG if all your sugars are fermentable, which is right near the low end of the style (by BJCP standards). I agree with Schemy on mashing a touch hotter to get some unfermentables.

Overall, I like where this recipe is going. I've added it to my list of must dos and I am very much looking forward to hearing about your results.

Thanks for the input guys. I will adjust it to mash a touch higher at 152 based on your feedback.
The coriander is whole right now, and I'll crush it with a mortar and pestle roughly.

Sadly I don't have any Amarillo and they don't sell it near me, so I'd have to order it mail order, and I'm going to be brewing tomorrow, so I'll have to save that experiment for iteration 2 of this recipe. I will try doing the Galaxy dry hop though, hope that gives me some nice tropical citrus aromas.

Cheers! :mug:

It's 1oz weight. So 1oz = 1 oz

It's like that riddle: What weighs more? 100lbs of bricks or 100lbs of feathers?

Ah crud, you're absolutely right. Another reason not to use tsp/tbsp and stick to grams/ounces when measuring. Old habits die hard. Thanks for pointing that out.

It's 1oz weight. So 1oz = 1 oz

It's like that riddle: What weighs more? 100lbs of bricks or 100lbs of feathers?

I think he probably meant that an ounce of powdered coriander would contribute more flavor, since more surface area is exposed and more volatile oils have been crushed out of the seed cells.

Quick update, just poured the first glass form the keg, and it's pretty darn good. Maybe a tiny bit thin, but great flavour, and very thirst quenching.

It reminds me of a shocktop with an orange slice floating in it, without having to put an orange in it.

I'll definitely do this one again, but I think I will mash even a bit higher, around 153-154ish to get a little more thickness into it.

Back