Recipe style.. American Lambic, Farmhouse Ale, or something else?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bogeyno

Reaction score
I just finished a brew with a grain bill that is from a basic lambic recipe but didn't use aged hops and used C2C American Farmhouse yeast.

What style would you put this in? Lambic, Farmhouse Ale, Contemporary Gose, something else?

Batch Size : 5 gal
ABV: 5.4%
IBU : 21 (Tinseth)
BU/GU : 0.38
Color : 11 EBC
Carbonation : 3.8 CO2-vol
Pre-Boil Gravity : 1.047
Original Gravity : 1.053 Final Gravity : 1.012

Fermentables (6 lb 4 oz)
3 lb - Golden Light 7.9 EBC (48%)
3 lb - Wheat Bavarian 15.8 EBC (48%)
4 oz - Maltodextrin 5.9 EBC (4%)

Hops (3.75 oz)
25 min - 1 oz - Saaz - 3.75% (10 IBU)
25 min - 0.75 oz - Willamette - 5.5% (11 IBU)

Dry Hops
3 days - 2 oz - Tradition - 6%

Yeast
1 pkg - Omega C2C American Farmhouse OYL-217

American Wild Ale, Brett (28A). I don’t have first-hand experience with this yeast, but it sounds like it fits the bill.
That makes sense. It's interesting that the BA guidelines allow for Brett.

From the BA Classic French & Belgian-Style Saison details:
"Complex alcohols, herbs, spices, low Brettanomyces attributes including slightly acidic, fruity, horsey, goaty and leather-like, as well as clove-like and smoky phenolics may be present."

BA guidelines, as used for GABF?

The BJCP guidelines (as used for NHC) would place a “brett saison” in Cat 28A as recommended above.

“Brettanomyces is not typical for this style; Saisons with Brett should be entered in the American Wild Ale category.”

I just sampled a c2c fermented beer that i have been aging under pressure in a keg at ambient temperatures since May. Its delicious!

That makes sense. It's interesting that the BA guidelines allow for Brett.

From the BA Classic French & Belgian-Style Saison details:
"Complex alcohols, herbs, spices, low Brettanomyces attributes including slightly acidic, fruity, horsey, goaty and leather-like, as well as clove-like and smoky phenolics may be present."
The problem with using fresh hops is this: They will impede the growth of some lacto strains and other bugs. Remember, traditional lambics start on coolships with Wild caught yeast, not pitched from neat packets. BA allows for brettanomyces because they are an integral part of the flora of the breweries that do lambic.

Another aspect to keep in mind: Its not really a lambic unless you blend a couple or several goese batches.

I have a 25 gal Solara barrel that I think i killed the bret with too many IBU's. The batch that was put on fruit Nov 1 st was lacto only with no pineapple or tropical fruit of the past 3 batches. I believe the bret in yours will be subdued. I also am leaning in the direction of IBU's can control the horse blanket and barnyard in bret beers since mine never had any of those flavors, I just got a little too high.

Back