Tripled my yeast vile. 3 Starters @ once

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Halter

Reaction score
I read this some where a while ago here. And i thought what a brilliant idea. I boiled 3 pints of water + .75lb DME and poured that into three large bottles equally. Then i poured the vial of white labs liquid yeast into the 3 bottles with equal porportions. Capped two for later(let them sit in the wet snow for a few minutes to cool down real fast, then stored them in the fridge right away) and let the other one sit on top of the fridge for the next day's brew.
I was scared that dividing the yeast count by three would be pushing it, but she started well, and the fermentation in the primary seems to off pretty good too. Thanks to whomever told me about this before.
I can't get any liquid yeast anywhere around where i live. so when i finally got some...

Would you then be able to direct pitch later in life with the stored yeast or would a new starter be required? How long would the yeast be viable like this? This almost seems too easy.

well I intend to use those other 2 starters in the fridge. Especially for me, because I honestly can't get any liquid yeast in my area whatsoever. I thought of ordering like 3 or 4 vials via internet, but then $$$ are getting up there. I think that they should be just fine, as long as the have adequate time to warm up and multiply before my next brew. I guess...

I was curious about something, So this what I did, I pitched a whole tube of whites WLP001 California Ale Yeast into a five gallon batch. With the emty tube I put about 1/2 a tube of new wort from the new batch. I left it on the kitchen counter in the up right position with the top slightly loose within about 6 hrs I had fermentation and within 3 days I had enough new yeast to pitch into a 1000ml starter on my stir plate so... within 3 more days I had enough to pitch to a five gallon batch. Now I know that with a small amout of yeast you can farm to a reasonable starter within about six to seven days easy!!!!!!!! It's almost unbeliveable how fast these things replicate themselfs. :ban:

Latest posts

Back