Tripel via Extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IJesusChrist

Reaction score
Man I love this fruity tripel that I tried, got the ratios, and have a brewer's friend recipe waiting with extract

BUT

Tripel is so simple, would an extract tripel be pretty bland, or could I get away with it?

I have made trippels from extract before and they have been some of my best beers. Fresh quality extract is key.

My lhbs has a date of when the product came in printed on the price tag. Some manufacturers will have a use by date on cans of lme. The freshness is less of an issue with dme. As for quality most big manufacturers have good product but imho its personal preference, how do you like the taste, how well does it work for you. That comes from experimenting with different extracts.

My lhbs has a date of when the product came in printed on the price tag. Some manufacturers will have a use by date on cans of lme. The freshness is less of an issue with dme. As for quality most big manufacturers have good product but imho its personal preference, how do you like the taste, how well does it work for you. That comes from experimenting with different extracts.

That will take years to do! But ok.

What would be considered "fresh"?

What would be considered "fresh"?

I would think that most if not all of the larger on-line retailers keep a good supply of fresh extract. For a large beer try and choose one that is a bit more fermentable, or perhaps 10 - 20% simple sugar would keep the FG in a desirable range...

Any brew shop with good turn over will have fresh extract. You will also be adding sugar to the beer (all the Belgian breweries do!) to dry it out and boost ABV. Consult the book Brew Like a Monk...great resource.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back