Tripel-Dubbel hybrid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peroua15

Reaction score
Was at local restaurant and they featured a Tripel-dubbel hybrid beer that was extremely good and a touch under 10% ABV. Does anyone know of good recipes to make something like this??

I'd be curious to know why they called it a hybrid. Tripels are stronger in alcohol, but typically lighter in color than dubbels. Would it be accurate to say what you had was a dark red Belgian with an ABV at tripel-level strength? How would you describe the flavor profile?

I'd be curious to know why they called it a hybrid. Tripels are stronger in alcohol, but typically lighter in color than dubbels. Would it be accurate to say what you had was a dark red Belgian with an ABV at tripel-level strength? How would you describe the flavor profile?

The way it was described to me was a hybrid..(couldn't give out TOO much info of whats in it in spite of me asking). More of a light amber color. Malty, yet still some fruit and complexity. Hard to explain. I was just wondering if this was by chance a certified "category" of beer or if someone had even ehard of this before because it was one of the best beers I have ever had...

The difference between a traditional dubbel and a tripel recipe-wise is maybe 2 lbs extra pilsner malt maybe a touch of munich and dark candy syrup vs light. (new world versions often have some darker caramel malts/special B etc)

Having never tasted the beer..... generic starting amberish base

Pilsner (#based on your efficiency or Pilsner/extra light DME)
1lb munich
0.5lb special B
1.5lb table sugar
0.5 lb dark syrup (not the amber rocks)

Hop to 25IBU or so with noble hops with no more than 1 oz in the 0-15 minute range

Belgian yeast - no idea what they used, but all are tasty - started mid 60's and ramped into the 70's

Back