Trim damaged bine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy everyone. This is my first attempt at growing hops. I have several plants, all grown from rhizomes. I messed up and crimped the bine for my Columbus plant when I was training it.

The thing is still growing like mad, but the leaves are noticeably more yellow above the crimp. The bine also split open on the inside of the crimp.

I'm thinking I should trim it below the crimp to prevent the plant from wasting any more energy growing a damaged bine.

Any thoughts?

damaged_bine.png

IMG_20150516_160155.jpg

I agree, that kink in the stem is not going to support a full-grown plant, and it sounds like it's already failing. If you're in a temperate zone it's still early enough for the plant to recover by sending out a pair of growth tips. You can pick one to train up and trim the other...

Cheers!

Let it ride, they can recover. The plant will let you know if it can't heal itself, clip it when the leaves actually wilt/die. As a first year plant, you don't want to remove any green stuff that you don't have to. Every functional leaf supports more growth.

For better or worse, I decided to trim it. I'll check back in a few weeks and let you know how the plant is doing.

Back