Trillium’s “new fermentation profile?”

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hop Widget

Reaction score
Lately, Trillium has been mentioning their “new fementation profile.” Anyone have any insights on what their new process might be?

So far, all I’ve seen from Trillium is that it involves “yeast and secrets.” So - a new yeast strain? Wonder what else they’re up to...

I haven't had any of their stuff this year. Can anyone comment on whether there are any noticable differences in the final product?

I would assume it would be a new yeast, or perhaps a yeast blend like Tree House uses, and/or a new fermentation temperature regimen.

It sounds like they are going to be changing over at least all their street series. The recent scaled, and summer st said they used the new profile. Interested to try out the new beers at some point soon.

They make it sound like the beers are softer and smoother but they are using a larger DH addition so they have more aromatic and flavorful attributes. I’m sure some of it is expertly crafted marketing, which JC is a ninja at, but I’m actually interested to try them when I’m there in a few weeks, moreso than I have been in a few years.

Yup. It’s simply expert marketing.
That’s what they do best. The beer, not my cup of tea.

So you’ve had the beers with the new profile? From everything I’ve heard from folks who drink their beer all the time it’s quite different.

I have not tried any of their beers since they changed up their process - would be interested in hearing about the differences that people have noticed.

I tried permutation 32 about a month ago- allegedly all galaxy but I didn’t taste any galaxy- just a fruit bomb mess. I remember when Congress st used to taste like current DDH Congress Street. I think trillium has previously showcased galaxy hops perfectly, but was disappointed in this new beer.

I just brewed a split batch IPA use imperial A24 dry hop yeast for first time and wonder if they are using Sach Trois alone or with another yeast in their newer batches.

I have been wondering this as well, and was about to start a thread on the same topic.

I've got a couple cases of trillium meeting me at a golf trip later this week, including the Launch with new profile. I dont know which of the other 9 cans coming have the new profile or not, so ill have to check IG when i have the cans in hand and will report back.

I havent had launch since last year so its been a while, but i did just do an attempted clone that i will have to compare it to directly. obviously the clone isnt ideal and i know i partially missed the mark, but at least its something....no?

Edit: it looks like it might only be Launch and Scaled with the new profile. They released Mettle with the new process on Friday, but my guy went on Thursday. Trillium replied to someone asking about Summer street not being the new profile despite being released after Scaled that did.

Last edited:
The Fort Point had less of a hop 'angry harshness' to it this last round. That harshness was always one of the things that I thought they could improve, and if they know it out with improved process, I will be very happy.

The Fort Point had less of a hop 'angry harshness' to it this last round. That harshness was always one of the things that I thought they could improve, and if they know it out with improved process, I will be very happy.
was there confirmation somewhere this was done with the new profile? I went back in IG and tried to find where they started with the new profile on the perm series but couldn't confirm other than the mention on the scaled post.

Think it has anything to do with the White Labs fiasco?

No I don’t think so at all.

He refering to breweries having issues with their yeast from White Labs being “infected” with a diastaticus yeast. Left Hand sued or is sueing white labs over it for a decent chunk of change. I guess it was happening to quite a few breweries.

https://www.brewbound.com/news/left-hand-files-lawsuit-white-labs-contaminated-yeast

Likely not, as I wouldn't expect Trillium uses their Saison yeast on any of their IPAs (though TH appears to use just a touch of Belgian in theirs)

None of the breweries were using Saison yeast, that’s the point. They were getting clean ale yeast infected with a POF+ diastaticus strain.

Trillium did at one point use a mixture of DuPont and French Saison in their clean Saison’s, not sure if they still do.

Touche', that's a solid point.

My 'best guess' at the OP's question is that they are fermenting the last couple points under pressure to generate a smoother carbonation.

JC has been talking about dry hopping under pressure for years. For instance this quote is from a 2014 twitter thread:

“mash low (~150F ish), add a little british light crystal malt, 90% of hops late/dry, dry hop under pressure in a cornie keg at 60F”

Think this is now an example of “practice what you preach?”

My hookup from this weekend didn’t pull through, only bringing 2 4 packs total, not 2 of each beer they had so no scaled or launch.

JC just posted something on the trillium blog but it has zero details. Pretty much just said, we’ve tried things in the past like DDH and we liked it and we tried this and we liked it so we’re going to do it all over the place like we did with DDH.

Just had Permutation 38 and it was delicious. Reminded my of HF Society and Solitude #4 or TH very green.

Skeptical of that... according to JC they changed yeast three times since opening Canton and of this new fermentation profile is another yeast that would be 4 times... shouldn’t be hard to harvest some yeast from their cans. Conan, 007, 1318 act very differently when fermenting.

Skeptical of that... according to JC they changed yeast three times since opening Canton and of this new fermentation profile is another yeast that would be 4 times... shouldn’t be hard to harvest some yeast from their cans. Conan, 007, 1318 act very differently when fermenting.

I wasn't aware of that. I am surprised that no one has tried the same thing as the treehouse thread and sent that guy some yeast from other breweries to define what yeast they use based on his DNA findings.

Lol. Sounds like. New York Times article. Unnamed sources.

The post says its his friend that works at trillium

I wasn't aware of that. I am surprised that no one has tried the same thing as the treehouse thread and sent that guy some yeast from other breweries to define what yeast they use based on his DNA findings.

The post says its his friend that works at trillium

That guy doesn’t work at a lab anymore unfortunately.

After drinking a few commercial beers I know are fermented with 1318 and then a perm 45 to me there’s no way in hell Trillium uses 1318 yeast. Completely different ester profile. To me almost all 1318 beers dry hopped during fermentation tend to taste/smell exactly the same.

They must have some really unique process however as no beers of this style taste/smell like theirs, and I’ve had em all except for Monkish.

interesting take, considering i havent had any of the new profile im inclined to believe you. Ive also noticed that all the new ferm beers seem to be very orange, almost darker/deeper color than previously. I had noticed that with the perm photos, but assumed it was a grist change, but the recent photo of Pitt street has a very similar color to the perm series.

Back