Tried to help...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Man I almost forgot telling you guys about this...

My BIL was interested in home brewing at Christmas. So I suggested getting this HB Equipment kit, a beer kit, and Chucks Book. Told him to call if he had questions.

This might make me sound EAC-like, sorry newbies, no offense intended.....

My SWMBO calls her sister. My guess is the BIL picked up the phone, out of the context of the conversation I gather my BIL says I make good beer and that his tastes like sh#t. Mind you this is about 1/7/07 give or take a day.

I finally see him last weekend. (2/23) I ask him how his beer tastes now. He goes....

"We dumped it down the drain, it tasted like sh#t."

I'm like, how long ago did you do that?

"Early January after we tasted it the first time."

I asked him why did you do that? I tried to tell him it wasn't ready for drinking. He didn't want to hear anything I said. He acted like he was kind of pissed and I got the feeling he didn't want to talk about the experience.

Talk about giving up early..... Was he thinking it would be yeast-free and carbed right out of the primary????

Dumba$$, was the only thing I could think of at the time!!!

Just about every hobby requires research and learning. It wouldn't be any fun otherwise.

I get the impression you BIL was just looking for the "cool factor" without any of the work. I am careful about what hobbies I get myself into, I can't imagine hammering out one batch of beer, being disappointed, and just saying "to hell with it".

Our first batch turned out great. As did our second. While I am pleased with the results, I almost kind of wish one of them had turned out like ****, so we could get that over with. I know we are going to have a failed batch at some point. But it will be a learning experience, not a barrier.

It's too bad he seems to be harboring some resentment towards you. I have found that sometimes people mention they are going to do something I know how to do and just expect me to come over and show them without them asking. Its an unreasonable expectation and not your fault.

Gedvondur

Gedvondur said:
Just about every hobby requires research and learning. It wouldn't be any fun otherwise.

I get the impression you BIL was just looking for the "cool factor" without any of the work. I am careful about what hobbies I get myself into, I can't imagine hammering out one batch of beer, being disappointed, and just saying "to hell with it".

Our first batch turned out great. As did our second. While I am pleased with the results, I almost kind of wish one of them had turned out like ****, so we could get that over with. I know we are going to have a failed batch at some point. But it will be a learning experience, not a barrier.

It's too bad he seems to be harboring some resentment towards you. I have found that sometimes people mention they are going to do something I know how to do and just expect me to come over and show them without them asking. Its an unreasonable expectation and not your fault.

Gedvondur

I actually wonder how many newbys have done this?

My first thoughts were how could it be bad already. It hasn't been long enough to get bad.

I believe your right about the cool factor and not wanting to do research. I'll give him this, English is a 2nd language for him so reading for him may not be that easy. Either way he should have asked for help since I offered it to him. Talking over the phone would have stopped them from dumping it down the drain.

BTW - He brewed the beer with his brother. I understand when they get together they get pretty hammered. I bet the dumping occurred the following weekend after having had too many, so thinking about logically about it wasn't to be expected.

Hence the dumba$$ remark.

Latest posts

Back