Tried harvesting yeast today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mimo777

Reaction score
I bottled my first all grain batch--uncarbonated it wasn't too bad tasting. Can't wait till its conditioned. I put one gallon into the fermenter and swirled, let stand for 10 minutes then siphoned off 4 quarts. There are 4 quarts of stark white yeast settling in the fridge right now. I would have pitched tonight but I missed my strike temp and didn't really have time to reheat for my mash, so I will try tomorrow.

So, the question is, is a quart of yeast in suspension overpitching? I swirled boiled water in the fermenter and let settled and drew off about a gallon, so I have no idea what the population numbers are in each quart, but they do look very white without any sediment.

I don't get bogged down with numbers... seriously, I can't count that many yeast! One quart of rather fresh yeast for a 5 gallon batch should serve you well. It might be a dash too little or a dash too high, in either case it's a hobby and it will still prodice a nice beverage all things considering. Can't help with the vegemite question however; tasting it once I would have to ask - what would make you want to try that for.... eeeewwwww

www.mrmalty.com has a pitching rate calculator. There is even a tab for repitching from slurry. Put in your OG and date you harvested and it will tell u how many mL to pitch, good luck!

I bottled my first all grain batch--uncarbonated it wasn't too bad tasting. Can't wait till its conditioned. I put one gallon into the fermenter and swirled, let stand for 10 minutes then siphoned off 4 quarts. There are 4 quarts of stark white yeast settling in the fridge right now. I would have pitched tonight but I missed my strike temp and didn't really have time to reheat for my mash, so I will try tomorrow.

I would think with four quarts you have a lot of trub yet. Try washing it again taking time to let it settle out. I bet you will begin to see the difference.

Pitched one of the quarts of that yeast on the beer I brewed last night. Its busy bubbling away!

Good for you! I washed two quarts Sunday and pitched one Monday on a Hefe... kicked nicely. Just something for you to think about. Don't get greedy or carried away; as long as you are sanitary you should get 4-6 great pitches with the same yeast, keep a record. It will save time and $$.... :)

Back