Quantcast

Tried harvesting yeast today

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

mimo777

Reaction score
I bottled my first all grain batch--uncarbonated it wasn't too bad tasting. Can't wait till its conditioned. I put one gallon into the fermenter and swirled, let stand for 10 minutes then siphoned off 4 quarts. There are 4 quarts of stark white yeast settling in the fridge right now. I would have pitched tonight but I missed my strike temp and didn't really have time to reheat for my mash, so I will try tomorrow.

OP
mimo777

mimo777

Reaction score
So, the question is, is a quart of yeast in suspension overpitching? I swirled boiled water in the fermenter and let settled and drew off about a gallon, so I have no idea what the population numbers are in each quart, but they do look very white without any sediment.

OP
mimo777

mimo777

Reaction score
Another rather wierd question. What goes in to autolysing it to make vegemite, etc?

Bentpirate

Reaction score
I don't get bogged down with numbers... seriously, I can't count that many yeast! One quart of rather fresh yeast for a 5 gallon batch should serve you well. It might be a dash too little or a dash too high, in either case it's a hobby and it will still prodice a nice beverage all things considering. Can't help with the vegemite question however; tasting it once I would have to ask - what would make you want to try that for.... eeeewwwww

JSomps6

Reaction score
www.mrmalty.com has a pitching rate calculator. There is even a tab for repitching from slurry. Put in your OG and date you harvested and it will tell u how many mL to pitch, good luck!

Surly

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I bottled my first all grain batch--uncarbonated it wasn't too bad tasting. Can't wait till its conditioned. I put one gallon into the fermenter and swirled, let stand for 10 minutes then siphoned off 4 quarts. There are 4 quarts of stark white yeast settling in the fridge right now. I would have pitched tonight but I missed my strike temp and didn't really have time to reheat for my mash, so I will try tomorrow.
I would think with four quarts you have a lot of trub yet. Try washing it again taking time to let it settle out. I bet you will begin to see the difference.

OP
mimo777

mimo777

Reaction score
Pitched one of the quarts of that yeast on the beer I brewed last night. Its busy bubbling away!

Bentpirate

Reaction score
Good for you! I washed two quarts Sunday and pitched one Monday on a Hefe... kicked nicely. Just something for you to think about. Don't get greedy or carried away; as long as you are sanitary you should get 4-6 great pitches with the same yeast, keep a record. It will save time and $$.... :)