Treehouse Brewing Julius Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha just noticed on Nate's Twitter he just posted- "For homebrewers: We don't use flour in any of our beers."

That's pretty awesome. I suppose if I were him I'd follow the conversation too.

I'm curious how they acidify, I imagine it's with acid post-fermentation.

Perhaps back to the wheat/flaked oat assumption then? Plus massive dry hop and poor flocc-ing yeast?

I've brewed a bunch of IPAs and pales with just wheat, wheat/oats(super hazy), and just oats. My guess is that they use oats in most there beers. Green looks like a combo of both oats and wheat from my experiences lol. So murky and velvety (velvety as TH describes Green, is usually used in conjunction with oats. Ha I'm definitely not sure it's just an assumption and me trying to be a detective.

2 row, white wheat, honey malt, oats , kettle with citra, mosaic, simcoe, and all citra dry hop. Conan yeast.

That's pretty awesome. I suppose if I were him I'd follow the conversation too.

I'm curious how they acidify, I imagine it's with acid post-fermentation.

Yeah I'm guessing he got an email asking about it or saw a YouTube review where people are saying they may be using it. I get an acid malt flavor from pretty much all their hoppy beers except for Lights On. I used citric acid to treat my sparge water on my last beer so I'll report back on the taste.

Yeah. I wrote him and email asking about flour. Glad he responded. Doubted it as it is not needed to get the haze we are after

Ha just noticed on Nate's Twitter he just posted- "For homebrewers: We don't use flour in any of our beers."

LOL, thats pretty awesome Treehouse has gotten wind of these threads

Im not sure what everyone is hung up on with the flour though. I didnt set out to try and clone anything. I didnt even know of the brewery until after I had already brewed my beer. I just wanted to make a beer that looked and tasted like hopped up orange juice

Even if they dont use actual flour, it does seem to be a good way to create a permanent haze at a homebrew level and, from using it in 3 beers so far, definitely bumps up the body.

This looks alot like the HFarmstead thread on things being tried, etc.
I can say I have not had any Treehouse brew to date, but from what I am hearing its very similar to HFS beers with their water profile/taste profile.

I have a batch in progress that I used my own methods to attempt to get close to this style of beer (juicy hop without the harsh bite and clean/crisp taste) that is looking very promising.

Its basically just pale 2-row with a touch of C60 and a lb of Carapils for the soft head and all citra in the hopstand with a Hopshot FWH for bittering.

Once I get it into the keg and carbed I will share this as looking over this thread, it looks like my own recipe is close to what this actually looks to be..

London 3 or Conan without a cold crash along with the use of wheat (flaked, malt or flour) will give you a haze that matches juluis. If you google around (I did before I emailed tree house) Beeradvocate has a nice thread about trillium/treehouse style IPAs. Some of the homebrew pics are spot on in terms of the haze.

London 3 or Conan without a cold crash along with the use of wheat (flaked, malt or flour) will give you a haze that matches juluis. If you google around (I did before I emailed tree house) Beeradvocate has a nice thread about trillium/treehouse style IPAs. Some of the homebrew pics are spot on in terms of the haze.

I don't know about needing wheat and not cold crashing. I just brewed an IPA with 14% oats and London Ale 3 and cold crashed it for three days at 33.8 degrees. It was pretty heavily hopped with 5 oz at flameout, two 12 oz whirlpool additions, and a 12 oz dry hop in a 10 gallon batch. This beer is as hazy as anything I have ever seen. You can't even see through a small taster glass of it. It's been a while since I've had Julius, though, and I don't remember if it has its own type of haziness or not.

Can you link to that thread?

d793f4a4-dc97-4797-ad94-a5e35f46e5df_zpsszvh39av.jpg

Holy cow that's 41 ounces of hops post flameout for a 10 gallon batch!!!

Am I reading this correctly?

Am I reading this correctly?

Yes, that is correct. There was also a 10ml HopShot addition at 90 minutes for about 40 IBUs. The bitterness is subtle and the mouthfeel is soft and silky. It smells like a tropical fruit cocktail and is sooooo crushable. It definitely fits in the NE IPA category.

Yes, that is correct. There was also a 10ml HopShot addition at 90 minutes for about 40 IBUs. The bitterness is subtle and the mouthfeel is soft and silky. It smells like a tropical fruit cocktail and is sooooo crushable. It definitely fits in the NE IPA category.

have a full recipe I can has?

Dang....i made the drive up there today, stood in line for near an hour and they ran out of Julias before the official opening time. Oh well, got some single shot stout and some green.

Has anyone used a can from treehouse to make a starter and get some of this yeast?

I've heard a number of people say they use Conan in their IPAs. I think it's pretty likely given that they are newer than the alchemist and seem to draw inspiration from the 16oz canned super juicy IPA thing

...and?

I've been thinking about trying to harvest from a can next time I get up there. I've used conan grown up from a can of heady for the last 4 brews and I don't pick up much yeast similarity. I was thinking a 1/2 can of Eureka should do the trick

I've heard a number of people say they use Conan in their IPAs. I think it's pretty likely given that they are newer than the alchemist and seem to draw inspiration from the 16oz canned super juicy IPA thing

...and?

Seems like a crazy amount of hops and a in efficient use of money

I also don't believe Conan is the yeast TH is using.

Don't think you need 20oz of hops for a 5gal batch. In my experience, the commercial recipes don't scale linearly for Homebrew hops wise. 5oz total at flameout/whirlpool at varying temps/amounts, 4-5oz dry hop seems more realistic/economic...and would still be quite a lot of hops for 5 gal of beer.

I can speak from experience that there is a large difference in a six gallon batch between a 5 oz steep/ 4 oz DH and a batch with a 9.25 oz steep/ 7.5 oz DH. The highest I've gone is 19.85 oz in a 6 gallon batch and it was a juice bomb. I definitely think this is part of the key of replicating the hop saturated TH style.

The IPA I have on tap currently had a 6 oz steep and a 6 oz DH for a six gal batch, and while juicy, it's nowhere near the level of the previous, almost 20 oz batch.

FWIW: I also use 1-2 oz at 15-20 minutes for flavor. I find it helps vs 60 min and WP only.

I have a few varieties of TH brews coming my way. I'll attempt to grow up the yeast from the cans and experiment on a small batch in the near future. So long as its unpasteurized, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Lets hope the cans are fresh.

I have a few varieties of TH brews coming my way. I'll attempt to grow up the yeast from the cans and experiment on a small batch in the near future. So long as its unpasteurized, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Lets hope the cans are fresh.

I actually did it the other way. I let a can settle in the fridge for 6+ weeks and then dumped it all into starter wort and had no issues building up some yeast.

I call dibs on some of the yeast. At the very least ill make a starter and compare vs a conan starter

Does anyone have a recipe they have used with good results. There has been a lot of speculation, but not many posted recipes. I'm interested in seeing a hop schedule for this beer someone has used.

Does anyone have a recipe they have used with good results. There has been a lot of speculation, but not many posted recipes. I'm interested in seeing a hop schedule for this beer someone has used.

IMO, the exact "recipe" and "hop shedule" doesnt matter. Most people are just trying to make something in the same vein as these IPAs liked heady topper and julius. All it takes is:
- a large portion of flaked ingredients for head, body and haze
- sugar to dry it out
- a highly attenuating yeast (preferably conan)
- minimal hops during the boil
- a crapton of whirlpool/hopstand hops

if you really need a recipe, look around here more

IMO, the exact "recipe" and "hop shedule" doesnt matter. Most people are just trying to make something in the same vein as these IPAs liked heady topper and julius. All it takes is:
- a large portion of flaked ingredients for head, body and haze
- sugar to dry it out
- a highly attenuating yeast (preferably conan)
- minimal hops during the boil
- a crapton of whirlpool/hopstand hops

if you really need a recipe, look around here more

I agree with everything you said except that Julius finishes around 1.013 so sugar isn't necessary. I think some of the juiciness is from the massive amount of fruity hops playing with the sweetness of the finished beer to enhance each other.

Tree House, Alchemist and Hill Farmstead are all unpasteurized and unfiltered. I think a substantial compound of the East Coast IPA is all the suspended yeast in the beer. Which would have probably been considered a stylistic flaw ten years ago...

Tree House, Alchemist and Hill Farmstead are all unpasteurized and unfiltered. I think a substantial compound of the East Coast IPA is all the suspended yeast in the beer. Which would have probably been considered a stylistic flaw ten years ago...

It's still considered a flaw to be that hazy if it's entered into a competition. I think it looks kinda ****ty too, but to each their own.

I don't think the suspended yeast is really necessary itself, but it may keep hop oils and other compounds in suspension with it.

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but here is my house recipe. It was based in zombie dust originally, but adjusted the hops for north east ipa. I also prefer 5-7% beers, but I wanted the Julius/heady/second fiddler hop flavor. I tasted the Conan version side by side with heady and it stands up.

http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/967004/azacca-dust-hop-stand

Last night for the first time I tried a treehouse beer and they live up to the hype. Now i see what all the fuss is about. I'm thinking that little to no cara / crystal, some wheat, oats, and tons of flameout steeping through the cooling process may get you in the ball park.

I'm leaning toward oats simply because of the lacing on the glass and mouthfeel reminded me of a stout, but just not as heavy.

I ordered a gratuitous amount of belma hops and i'm going to try a small 2 gallon batch with about a pound of belma hops that'll all be late addition and hopstand.

IMO, the exact "recipe" and "hop shedule" doesnt matter. Most people are just trying to make something in the same vein as these IPAs liked heady topper and julius.

I think there is a lot of value is making an exact clone of a beer, not necessarily from a drinking standpoint, but in an education standpoint. If a home brewer is able to pinpoint the ingredients, or hop schedule, or technique used in a beer they love, that can give them the knowledge and platform to create a beer even better suited to their enjoyment.

Personally, I have trouble in my hop schedules achieving "juicy" and "dank" without "piney" while having a clean hop taste. But that is something I love about Julius. If a true (or indistinguishable) Julius clone were to be uncovered in this thread, it could guide my brewing so I could be one step closer to that ultimate beer for me.

Like you said, there is no mystery on how to make a delicious "Northeast IPA," but the value of a clone recipe goes beyond just brewing a generally delicious beer.

Back