Travel to Scandinavia?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The girlfriend and I will be in Stockholm Saturday and Sunday July 2nd and 3rd and Wednesday - Sunday July 6 - 10. We would love to buy one of you a beer if any TBers are around. We already have Akkurat and Omnipollo on the list beer-wise, but would love any other food, bar or activity recommendations anyone may have.
Have a great trip and good luck (I'm sure you won't need it). When you get back I want to hear all about it. We're going in early September for a few days. jisak74 I have a PM in to you.

Overly detailed mid-trip update (thanks to jisak74, HenrikO, Odesseiron, Ryan_G and Dunt for the recommendations):

We arrived in Stockholm mid-day on Saturday, checked into our hotel, and walked over to Flippin' Burgers for lunch and a beer. Very cool spot - great greasy American style burgers (veggie burger in my case) and fries, solid beer list, and awesome vibe (the theme is kitschy American burger joint, and there are pictures of, and decorations from, classic American burger places all over the walls). After a quick nap at the hotel, we walked to Gamla Stan for some drinks and snacks at Pharmarium. The drinks and the people-watching were phenomenal. After that, being pretty pooped from our flight, we walked around Gamla Stan and then back to our hotel.

On Sunday (after a long sleep), we walked to Omnipollo for pizzas and beers (really cool spot, beers and pizzas were great, 90's rap playlist was on point - at one point, they played Wu-Tang, Eric B. and Rakim, Gang Starr and EPMD in a four song sequence - and the service was very friendly (which is really something I could say of every place we have been so far on the trip)). We then strolled over to the Fotografiska and took in the exhibits (several of them highly intense and depressing, but all very well done in my completely uneducated opinion). After that, we walked over to SoFo/Nytorget, strolled around, and hung out in the park with all of the hipsters. Then we walked back north, grabbed a beer at Moseback Terrace (which had a very cool view), and then grabbed a few more beers at Akkurat (including Super Blend and Stormaktsporter Raspberry). The bartender at Akkurat was extremely helpful and friendly and made our experience extremely enjoyable. Then we walked back to Nytorget and got dinner at Urban Deli.

On Monday morning, we got up early and caught a train for Mora, where we met the Inlandsbanan (the inland railroad line (http://inlandsbanan.se/, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inland_Line). We spent the rest of Monday on the train up to Ostersund (a very pretty town with a charming downtown area), and we spent all day today on the train from Ostersund to Gallivare. While the Inlandsbanan experience certainly isn't for everyone, we had an absolute blast taking in this beautiful country (which we never would have seen otherwise), meeting locals and other travelers, and eating at some "unique" establishments (including a wonderful lunch today overlooking a lake in Vilhelmina). We saw lots of reindeer and 4 moose (and, unfortunately, our train mowed down 3 reindeer today - I saw the hair flying by the window after impact, and the image of their buddies looking back toward the train with utter sadness will be etched into my memory forever) - despite the reindeer killing, I would ride the Inlandsbanan again in a heartbeat.

Tomorrow we return to Stockholm, and I can't wait to explore for the next few days. I know, TL: DR - sorry!

PS: Can anyone recommend a good snus? I can't go home without throwing in at least a couple pouches/lips of snus!

Last edited:
Overly detailed mid-trip update (thanks to jisak74, HenrikO, Odesseiron, Ryan_G and Dunt for the recommendations):

We arrived in Stockholm mid-day on Saturday, checked into our hotel, and walked over to Flippin' Burgers for lunch and a beer. Very cool spot - great greasy American style burgers (veggie burger in my case) and fries, solid beer list, and awesome vibe (the theme is kitschy American burger joint, and there are pictures of, and decorations from, classic American burger places all over the walls). After a quick nap at the hotel, we walked to Gamla Stan for some drinks and snacks at Pharmarium. The drinks and the people-watching were phenomenal. After that, being pretty pooped from our flight, we walked around Gamla Stan and then back to our hotel.

On Sunday (after a long sleep), we walked to Omnipollo for pizzas and beers (really cool spot, beers and pizzas were great, and 90's rap playlist was on point - at one point, they played Wu-Tang, Eric B. and Rakim, Gang Starr and EPMD in a four song sequence - and the service was very friendly, which is really something I could say of every place we have been so far on the trip). We then strolled over to the Fotografiska and took in the exhibits (several of them highly intense and depressing, but all very well done in my completely uneducated opinion). After that, we walked over to SoFo/Nytorget, strolled around, and hung out in the park with all of the hipsters. Then we walked back north, grabbed a beer at Moseback Terrace (which had a very cool few) , and then grabbed a few more beers at Akkurat (including Super Blend and Stormaktsporter Raspberry). The bartender at Akkurat was extremely helpful and friendly and made our experience extremely enjoyable. Then we walked back to Nytorget and got dinner at Urban Deli.

On Monday morning, we got up early and caught a train for Mora, where we met the Inlandsbanan (the inland railroad line (http://inlandsbanan.se/, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inland_Line). We spent the rest of Monday on the train up to Ostersund (a very pretty town with a charming downtown area), and we spent all day today on the train from Ostersund to Gallivare. While the Inlandsbanan experience certainly isn't for everyone, we had an absolute blast taking in this beautiful country (which we never would have seen otherwise), meeting locals and other travelers, and eating at some "unique" establishments (including a wonderful lunch today overlooking a lake in Vilhelmina) - I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Tomorrow we return to Stockholm, and I can't wait to explore for the next few days. I know, TL:DR - sorry!

Sounds like a great time so far.

Forgot to mention, check out the Vasa. An awesome museum housing a complete in tact ship that sunk in the 1600s if I recall.

large-DSC06356.jpg

jmgrub i like the göteborgs rape snus. But i prefer the "tea bag" portions. Def better as a beginner i would say

Doesn't really narrow anything down for you, but we are open to any and all suggestions. Ethnic food, traditional Norwegian cuisine, cheap, expensive. All of it.

Bear in mind that a lot of these might be closed for the summer.

Fast food:

Munchies, Wunderburger and Kverneriet all do good American style burgers.

If you want a cheap lunch/take away thing while walking around the city centre, check out Miss Gin (banh mi), Meatballs (meatballs with sides), Fiskeriet (fish n chips) and/or Mamma Pizza. Nearby Freddy Fuego has the best burritos in town, but they're not exactly Cali style.

If you wanna eat ethnic and very cheap, I like Palmyra Cafe (dosai/Tamil food) and Punjab Tandoori (Indian) at Grønland.

Tons of döner places near Grønland and Storgata, too, that usually stay up until 3-4AM.

Good value:

Arakataka has amazing new Nordic/Norwegian cuisine at a great price. Pretty affordable for Oslo, and they do both a rotating set menu and a la carte. Perfect place to get a taste of what cutting edge Norwegian food tastes like at the moment, without going all in @ Maaemo.

The nearby Lokk is a bit cheaper and more stripped down alternative.

I also love semi obscure Pjoltergeist, a super ambient Norwegian/Korean/Icelandic fusion plave with a completely unique set menu.

Le Benjamin is a very cozy and authentic French bistro. Big portions of often fantastic food. ~Next door you have New Anarkali for kick ass Indian.

Lofthus Samvirkelag Tranen does the best pizza in town. Both traditional Neapolitan and Norwegian fusion toppings (white sauce with reindeer and pomegranate is great).

Trattoria Populare for good Italian comfort food. Bettola next door is a pretty cool cocktail spot and Schouskjelleren in the adjacent building has tons of good guest taps, alright in house brews and a nice bottle list (plenty of lambic).

Olympen is a bit hit or miss, but they usually do a three course, hearty Norwegian, semi gourmet set menu at a nice price. Great beer hall environment and very nice bottle list for Belgian and US breweries.

Upscale:

Bokbacka (Japanese/Nordic) is very hot right now. So is Bon Lio, a fancy tapas/pintxos type spot. Also love Kamai (asian fusion) and Kontrast (Nordic/French).

Alex Sushi is your best bet for sushi.

Maaemo is probably the best and most exciting restaurant in Europe right now in my opinion, but you usually have to score a table 3 mths in advance. Hang around their Facebook page for a cancellation or call in every day if you wanna go the hail mary route.

Also, as always: Cafe Sara is by far the best craft beer pub in Oslo. Schouskjelleren close second (with a much cozier location). Amundsen and Dr Jekylls are good for lambic.

Bear in mind that a lot of these might be closed for the summer.

Fast food:

Munchies, Wunderburger and Kverneriet all do good American style burgers.

If you want a cheap lunch/take away thing while walking around the city centre, check out Miss Gin (banh mi), Meatballs (meatballs with sides), Fiskeriet (fish n chips) and/or Mamma Pizza. Nearby Freddy Fuego has the best burritos in town, but they're not exactly Cali style.

If you wanna eat ethnic and very cheap, I like Palmyra Cafe (dosai/Tamil food) and Punjab Tandoori (Indian) at Grønland.

Tons of döner places near Grønland and Storgata, too, that usually stay up until 3-4AM.

Good value:

Arakataka has amazing new Nordic/Norwegian cuisine at a great price. Pretty affordable for Oslo, and they do both a rotating set menu and a la carte. Perfect place to get a taste of what cutting edge Norwegian food tastes like at the moment, without going all in @ Maaemo.

The nearby Lokk is a bit cheaper and more stripped down alternative.

I also love semi obscure Pjoltergeist, a super ambient Norwegian/Korean/Icelandic fusion plave with a completely unique set menu.

Le Benjamin is a very cozy and authentic French bistro. Big portions of often fantastic food. ~Next door you have New Anarkali for kick ass Indian.

Lofthus Samvirkelag Tranen does the best pizza in town. Both traditional Neapolitan and Norwegian fusion toppings (white sauce with reindeer and pomegranate is great).

Trattoria Populare for good Italian comfort food. Bettola next door is a pretty cool cocktail spot and Schouskjelleren in the adjacent building has tons of good guest taps, alright in house brews and a nice bottle list (plenty of lambic).

Olympen is a bit hit or miss, but they usually do a three course, hearty Norwegian, semi gourmet set menu at a nice price. Great beer hall environment and very nice bottle list for Belgian and US breweries.

Upscale:

Bokbacka (Japanese/Nordic) is very hot right now. So is Bon Lio, a fancy tapas/pintxos type spot. Also love Kamai (asian fusion) and Kontrast (Nordic/French).

Alex Sushi is your best bet for sushi.

Maaemo is probably the best and most exciting restaurant in Europe right now in my opinion, but you usually have to score a table 3 mths in advance. Hang around their Facebook page for a cancellation or call in every day if you wanna go the hail mary route.

That's the mother load! Greatly appreciated my man!

Today is our final day in Sweden and I just wanted to take a minute to say how welcoming and kind everyone has been here (and by everyone, I mean every single person that we have encountered in our travels here). We will miss it very much and would come back in a heartbeat.

so, i'm arriving at Copenhagen this friday and will stay there till monday 8th. Is there someone from TB in town who would like to share a bottle at himmeriget?

let me know if you would like to share a glass

I will be in Helsinki Nov 19th and 20th, and Turku the 20th-26th. Any recs?
Beer, coffee, food, must see/do, hiking, trail running...?

Thanks in advance!
Cheers
Don

I will be in Helsinki Nov 19th and 20th, and Turku the 20th-26th. Any recs?
Beer, coffee, food, must see/do, hiking, trail running...?

Thanks in advance!
Cheers
Don
Take the ferry to Tallinn and walk around the Old Town (one of the better ones in Europe). The ferry is pretty quick, food in Tallinn is pretty cheap and some decent bottle shops.

As far as Helsinki:
-Rock Church
-Suomenlinna
I didn't really check anything else out there otherwise. Bottle shops are pretty lackluster. There's a Finnish guy on BA (wickedestman) who is pretty active in the beer scene over there. He posted on the international FT forum maybe a month or two ago.

Hope this helps a bit...

I'm going to be in Stockholm on the nights of the 17th and 27th of February. Staying 2 blocks from Akkurat. I'd love to grab a beer if any locals are around. Happy to bring a few nice bottles from SF area to share with you/ leave with you.

I'm going to be in Stockholm on the nights of the 17th and 27th of February. Staying 2 blocks from Akkurat. I'd love to grab a beer if any locals are around. Happy to bring a few nice bottles from SF area to share with you/ leave with you.
17th is my wife's birthday, not sure about the 27th... ping jisak74 sneakychi

I could probably grab a beer or two either of those dates (have to double check with the 'boss' though).

looks like I will be in stockholm as well on the 18th and 19th if you want to split some stuff at akkurat

Will be visiting Stockholm 17th - 20th of February. If anyone is in town or have recommendations that would be great. Will be hanging with the Stockholm Brewery guys. Plan to visit the Nordiska Museet in Stockholm and hopefully get access to a 1928 Farmhouse Ale survey. Never been and really excited.

I'm heading back to Malmo / Stockholm again in the summer so started research already. Haven't made any plans yet though as I don't have any dates. Looking forward to being able to go to Copenhagen this time (hopefully.)

Will be visiting Stockholm 17th - 20th of February. If anyone is in town or have recommendations that would be great. Will be hanging with the Stockholm Brewery guys. Plan to visit the Nordiska Museet in Stockholm and hopefully get access to a 1928 Farmhouse Ale survey. Never been and really excited.

Visit http://fotografiska.eu/en/ if you dig photography. Short walk from/to Akkurat and Omnipollo's Hatt. Side trip through Katarina kyrka, one of the beautiful churches in the area.

What are you intrested in? Stockholm local here and can probably chip in with some recommendations.

As Ryan says, Fotografiska museum is awesome if you like photography art, I've been there a couple of times and they always have interesting exhibits.

Back