Trash Can Sanitizer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roadliner

Reaction score
So I was thinking for my next brew day, I would just use a spare plastic trashcan I have up in my attic that I use to ice an extra keg when we host parties to sanitize in. (only one kegerator so far :( ) I can fill the entire thing with sanitizing solution and be able to dip pretty much every thing I use in there without issue. From stir spoons that won't fit in my 5 gallon bucket I usually use.. to the entire buckets themselves lol.

Overkill? dumb idea? I searched for Trash Can sanitizing bucket to no avail so thought I'd just ask real quick.

Depends on the size of the trash can. Anything over 5 gallons is wasteful IMO. Don't need much sanitize..

Seems like overkill to me. Just send that 10-15 oz's of star-San you were gonna use to me and call it a day haha

So I was thinking for my next brew day, I would just use a spare plastic trashcan I have up in my attic that I use to ice an extra keg when we host parties to sanitize in. (only one kegerator so far :( ) I can fill the entire thing with sanitizing solution and be able to dip pretty much every thing I use in there without issue. From stir spoons that won't fit in my 5 gallon bucket I usually use.. to the entire buckets themselves lol.

Overkill? dumb idea? I searched for Trash Can sanitizing bucket to no avail so thought I'd just ask real quick.

Sure, that would work but it would take up a lot of room plus use a lot of star-san. I guess if you're saving the star-san in there to reuse that it would be ok.

I use a Carlo Rossi wine jug to hold my star-san. I make up a gallon at a time, and then also fill a little spray bottle. I spray down most items that can not be easily immersed. I save it, and reuse over and over. A little container of star-san will last me for a couple of years, as I just mix it up when I end up spilling it all.

You really only need to get the items wet with star-san, not soak them, but I know some people will fill wallpaper trays for longer items or even their bottling bucket and use star-san that way.

That works.. I figured it might be a little too much, but I figured maybe someone had done it and found it to be helpful.

Back