Trapped in OZ - Belgian Beer Whore

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CinqSense

Reaction score
Hello,

Currently living in Brisbane Austraila, but moving back to the good ole US of A soon; land of the affordable brew kit (and everything else, for that matter). I have friends who have brewed in the past, but have never had the itch until now. I will wait until my return to the US to purchase what I need.

Is it REALLY possible to brew a beer that tastes like Chimay or Trappist Rochefort? My cousin, who used to brew says "yes, and even better". I find that hard to believe. Looking forward to giving it the old college try.

:mug:

You can make very good beer at home, as good as commercial beer. There are certain styles that can be very hard though, like funky/sour ales. Some commercial beers are blends, which makes them harder to replicate also.

I am heading to Oz for 20 days here soon, any suggestions for beer? Where you moving in the states?

You can make very good beer at home, as good as commercial beer. There are certain styles that can be very hard though, like funky/sour ales. Some commercial beers are blends, which makes them harder to replicate also.

I am heading to Oz for 20 days here soon, any suggestions for beer? Where you moving in the states?

I am from and moving back to Lafayette, LA. Be warned... EVERYTHING here (Australia) is expensive, especially alcohol. A six pack of Bud grade lager will set you back about $17. I really like beer from Murray's. They are a microbrew near Sydney. I hope you have a good time here. Get ready for total wallet rape!

Just a tip on buying alcohol in Australia, head to a Dan Murphy's store hands down cheapest prices anywhere. Plus some of our crappest beers are the most expensive for some god awful reason, but yes the excise tax is a bit cruel

I am from and moving back to Lafayette, LA. Be warned... EVERYTHING here (Australia) is expensive, especially alcohol. A six pack of Bud grade lager will set you back about $17. I really like beer from Murray's. They are a microbrew near Sydney. I hope you have a good time here. Get ready for total wallet rape!

Well if it is any motivation to homebrew whether here or in Australia, I can do a basic, all grain, 5 gallon brew for about $23.00 (cost of grain, hops, yeast). I know there are many brewers who brew for a lot less!

Sounds to me like Australia needs more brew shops and more homebrewers!!!
I could not imagine paying such high prices for "lack luster" beer! My heart goes out to all who have to buy beer down under!

P.S. Welcome to the forum CinqSense!:mug:

Latest posts

Back