New to Homebrew Talk Community (and new to Homebrewing!)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stljimmyj

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to both the community and all-grain homebrewing in general and I'm hoping to get some tips here. I've done several brews with a very basic kit using extracts, but I'm excited to step up my game. I'm from St. Louis MO. and I just purchased my first All Grain system, but have yet to start brewing anything. I've been watching videos on homebrewing and researching systems for about the last year and finally landed on the Brewzilla Gen 4. It arrived at my door last week, but FedEx did a great job of crushing the box and it was damaged. MoreBeer was great about the return and immediately shipped the new one out, so hoping to get my first brew started next weekend. I'm looking forward to participating in the community and benefitting from everyone's experience! I'm great at drinking 'em, but when it comes to brewing them I'm going to need to lean on some of y'all! Anyone have any tips for a first brew?

Last edited:
Welcome to HomeBrewTalk. If you can't find information you are looking for (there is a ton), just ask. We have many members who are willing to help you.

As far a tips for a first brew: Brew something simple, like an amber/brown ale or porter. Stay away from complicated grain bills, complicated hopping schedules, multiple mash temperatures, etc. And for &deity's sake, don't try to brew an NEIPA until you have your brewing and packaging process under control. NEIPAs are probably the most difficult style to get right.

Brew on :mug:

Welcome to HomeBrewTalk. If you can't find information you are looking for (there is a ton), just ask. We have many members who are willing to help you.

As far a tips for a first brew: Brew something simple, like an amber/brown ale or porter. Stay away from complicated grain bills, complicated hopping schedules, multiple mash temperatures, etc. And for &deity's sake, don't try to brew an NEIPA until you have your brewing and packaging process under control. NEIPAs are probably the most difficult style to get right.

Nice to meet you Doug and thanks for the tips! I'm glad I asked, because some of the STL locals were trying to get me to brew a NEIPA! I was thinking either a porter or a dry irish stout. My wife is from Ireland, and she gifted me the Brewzilla Gen 4 so I'd love to brew an irish stout as a thank you for my new Christmas present. Are irish stouts difficult? Maybe I should stick with a nice porter.

Welcome to HBT!

My wife is from Ireland, and she gifted me the Brewzilla Gen 4 so I'd love to brew an irish stout as a thank you for my new Christmas present. Are irish stouts difficult?
Irish stouts are easy to brew, very forgiving. And appropriate in your case!
Mash for an hour at a low temperature no higher than 148-150F, to get good fermentability. You want [EDIT] it that beer to be dry.

Are you planning to brew from "mail order" recipe kits or buying your ingredients locally?

Last edited:
Welcome to HBT!

Irish stouts are easy to brew, very forgiving. And appropriate in your case!
Mash for an hour at a low temperature no higher than 148-150F, to get good fermentability. You want it dry.

Are you planning to brew from "mail order" recipe kits or buying your ingredients locally?
Great to hear, thanks! I'm not sure actually...I was leaning toward a mail order kit to start with, but there is a really good local malt/mill shop that stocks a lot of ingredients as well as regular group orders. So if I can find a good recipe I may see if I can get everything I need from there.

Nice...thanks Sammy. Brewzilla seems like a pretty solid system for the $$.

Definitely solid! I love mine! Makes brew day so easy! There is a little bit of a learning curve but once you dial in your numbers and know your system it's repeatable every time!

Great to hear, thanks! I'm not sure actually...I was leaning toward a mail order kit to start with, but there is a really good local malt/mill shop that stocks a lot of ingredients as well as regular group orders. So if I can find a good recipe I may see if I can get everything I need from there.
You are lucky to have a good LHBS (local home brew store) near you. You should get to know them, as they can be very helpful. They may have recipes, for which they stock the ingredients you need, so ask them.

Welcome from a fellow St. Louisan. Haven't found a reliable brew shop near me (near Jefferson Barracks), so most of my purchases are online. I use More Beer almost exclusively. Glad to hear that they took care of you.

Good luck on your brewing journey and keep us posted. If you need help, ask the question. Plenty of knowledgeable folks on this site. Cheers!

Welcome from a fellow St. Louisan. Haven't found a reliable brew shop near me (near Jefferson Barracks), so most of my purchases are online. I use More Beer almost exclusively. Glad to hear that they took care of you.

Good luck on your brewing journey and keep us posted. If you need help, ask the question. Plenty of knowledgeable folks on this site. Cheers!
Hey Wally nice to meet you! I’m in Oakville, not too far from you. MoreBeer was great to deal with and after my experience, I think they’ve earned my business. Have you checked out Missouri Malt & Mill near 270 and 44? Just a little shop, but they seem to have a great selection in terms of ingredients.

Hey Wally nice to meet you! I’m in Oakville, not too far from you. MoreBeer was great to deal with and after my experience, I think they’ve earned my business. Have you checked out Missouri Malt & Mill near 270 and 44? Just a little shop, but they seem to have a great selection in terms of ingredients.

+1 for Kent at Missouri Malt & Mill

Back