Transporting Kegs - Advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NothingRhymesWithCurtiss

Reaction score
I live in Michigan but work for a company in Chicago and need to transport a slim 1/4 barrel keg about 6 hours without refridgeration.

I am picking up a keg from the brewpub that I brew at on Thursday night, and will be putting it in my fridge at home until Monday morning when I leave for Chicago.

Since I do not have a cooler or trashcan... large enough to hold it and keep it cold, my thought was to drop the temp of the fridge super low, and then wrap the keg in a sleeping bag for the trip.

Once I get to Chicago it will be put on ice and promptly drank. (Company BBQ.)

Any advice is recommended.

Thanks!

Since I do not have a cooler or trashcan large enough to hold it and keep it cold,
You can probably get a cheap round 10-13g trash can for a couple of bucks, just slightly bigger than the 1/4 slim, and add ice to that. It will probably fit in your back seat or floorboard standing up.

Transporting will kick up any sediment, so be prepared for the first couple of pours to be cloudy, even on a clear beer. Dropping the temp as low as is reasonable will help, but anything you can do to keep it cold will be helpful as well.

I do the cheap trash can thing when I bring a keg down to my oldest son's home in northern NJ - which could be anywhere from 3-1/2 hours to 6 hours, depending on traffic. As I cold-crash before kegging then allow 2.something weeks for carbonation/cold conditioning what little trub makes it into the kegs (about a tablespoon) is slammed pretty tight to the bottom and if I'm reasonably careful won't cloud up a keg...

Cheers!

I drove 300 miles to a wedding with 4 kegs and the key to my process was fill the kegs to the top because of shaking and oxygen intake also I made sure I took the beer off the sediment into another keg to prevent mixing up the beer with sediment and turning out cloudy on arrival, it worked great

Back