Transferring beer into partially filled keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Djangotet

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I had this idea to preserve my dry hops from brew day and prevent vegetal flavors. On brew day I have this 1.5 gallon cannon keg that I am gonna put my hops in (inside of a large tea infuser). Then I’m gonna purge it with co2 and put it in my regular fridge until I’m ready to keg my beer. No oxygen will touch the hops and I can store 1.5 gallons in my regular fridge.

Here’s where I need some advice:
On kegging day I’m gonna fill this mini keg with beer first then put the rest into my main keg. After 2 days of dry hopping, I plan to transfer the beer from my mini keg to my larger keg to combine the two beers. I already have it set up but will I run into any issues here with topping off the larger keg? One keg will be partially full. I was thinking of pushing the beer out of the small keg into the larger one while burping the bigger one. Will the beer go from keg to keg smoothly? Anything I’m missing here that’s gonna cause a big issue (or huge mess)?

Thank you so much!

My first thought is that many of us manage to dry hop for far longer than 2 days without vegetal flavors. That may be because of the type of hop we use. I have left hops in my fermenter for 2 weeks without vegetal flavors. Unless you are noticing the flavors in your beers you may be doing a lot of work for nothing.

The major reason to limit oxygen exposure when dry hopping is to preserve the hop aroma/flavors.

The part where I would expect the trouble would be in your connections between the kegs and the possibility of them coming apart.

Latest posts

Back