Transporting Kegged Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SevenSeaScourge

Reaction score
exactly how much sediment are we talking about being stirred up when a keg is moved around? is it an aesthetic thing or is it a flavor thing? i ask because i'm bringing 5-6 cornys to my upcoming wedding and they've got an hour+ ride to the site. if it's only cosmetic, stop reading - i'll just tell everyone that all the beers are spinoffs of hefeweizens. if not, this is my plan: cold-crash (which i've never done) & add gelatin (again, never done) in primary, transfer to keg for a week of 'conditioning', then jump beer to serving keg and carb. problems?

questions i can't find answers for:

my fridge is old and only gets down to about 42F. will cold crashing work in this or does it need to be colder? will my airlock liquid get sucked back into the glass carboy b/c of the temp change?

how long for cold crashing?

how much gelatin?

will running my out-to-out jumper through a filter strip the taste out of my beer?

I think the stuff that's kicked up does add a taste I've moved kegs that are brilliantly clear inside the fridge and they funked up until they cleared again.

I think you should carb in the keg cold, add 1.5t gelatin and let it sit a few days. Then pull off beer until clear. You could then jumper or not. Depending on the crowd, a lot of people drink with their eyes. If it's a red college keg cup scenario, you could skip the jumper.

it's your wedding.. use the jumper and serve clear clean brew. You'll be happier for it. 1 less thing to stress about that day.

I don't think gelatin is necessary. I wouldn't use it, simply because some of my friends are vegetarians but it's usually not needed anyway. At your wedding, it's possible that some people may be vegetarians and wouldn't expect animal products in beer.

I'd definitely put the kegs in the kegerator and let them sit for a week or two carbing up and allowing the sediment to drop. Then pull a few ounces of each to pull out the sediment and then pull a couple more to check clarity. If it's clear, jump to a new keg. Then those can be moved/stored/chilled/etc whatever you need to do.

Yeah, sometimes I'll use the gelatin and sometimes I won't. I think it depends on how quickly I need to turn the beer around and it I really want it to be clear. If I've dry hopped, then I don't even bother.

I've never really considered the whole vegan drinker thing before but I guess now I will. I'll start using at least a little animal product in ever brew so they'll have to bring their own free range, fair trade beers on their recumbent bikes when they come over for the next hippie drum circle. jk I don't have any vegan friends. :)

I do have a good friend who has a wheat allergy so I do avoid wheat in beers unless the style demands it. No pound of wheat for head for me.

...so can i just rack from primary to the keg, cold crash/condition, and then jump to my final? this seems the easiest to me...

...and i can carb while crashing?

Back