Transportation tips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CollegeCider

Reaction score
So, I want to take some of my cider to college to share with my friends. Don't want to take the glass bottles they are in, as they could break. My plan is to chill all the bottles, and once cold pour them into a 2L bottle. The reason for the chilling is I figure that if I chill them, the pressure will be less, so more air particles will be in there, so when the bottle is brought to room temp again, there will be more pressure in the bottle to keep them carbed.
Will this work? or is this a bad idea?
thoughts? and yes, of course I will be brewing at college. :rockin:

Wrap the bottles in bubble wrap or packing paper and put them in a cooler packing it as tight as you can. Cover with more bubble wrap or packing paper before putting the lid on the cooler. Transferring it to a different container isn't a good idea to me. There are too many variables in that equation that could go wrong. Just my opinion.

Maybe Ill just let them age til Thanksgiving break. I need the car space for all my college gear.

I've hauled glass bottles all over the place, and never had them break in transit, even long distances.

How do you think commercial beers get transported? By levitation? They get driven around....

I've hauled glass bottles all over the place, and never had them break in transit, even long distances.

How do you think commercial beers get transported? By levitation? They get driven around....

Yeah, but not under suitcases of clothes that would be moving about on the 7 hour trip on a potentially uneven surface.
I'll probably just let them sit at home. No point in potentially wasting good brews.

Yeah, but not under suitcases of clothes that would be moving about on the 7 hour trip on a potentially uneven surface.

What do you think is going to happen? That won't do anything to the beer.

How many bottles are you talking? If it's cases of beer, go get milk crates or even just beer bottle boxes from the beer store and you'll be fine.

I think you're over stressing something that folks do every day.

Full bottles are remarkably tough. I've dropped full bottles of beer and wine on concrete and sometimes they don't break.....sometimes they do. I sure wouldn't stress about a cozy ride in a car under suitcases.

Latest posts

Back