Transfering beer on top of yeast cake to finish fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoviceBrewer420

Chef, Baker, Apprentice Brewer/ Rookie Homebrewer
Reaction score
As the title says can I transfer my NEIPA on a yeast cake from a blonde to finish fermentation. The FG is steady at 1.014 or should I let it be?

Im bottling the blonde today and just wanted to make sure before i go ahead with it. Cheers 🍻

If it's done, what would transferring it (risking oxidation) due to improve it?
Note sure that's why i asked the experts. If you think i should leave it be i will. I'm only 9 brews in. So another week in primary is ok its been 7 days already.

NE IPAs are really better fresher than older. I probably would let it dryhop and package as soon as possible. If it's still at 1.014 after a couple of days, it's time to package it.
Thank you! That's what i was thinking. Like i said I'm a total noon and didnt know if the yeast that I used for my blonde would clean up the last of the sugars since OYL-200 doesnt work as well and cool temps than WYL-001 I've had a cold front the last few days and thought it just slowed/stopped fermentation

It's difficult to revive a (potentially) stalled fermentation if that's what you think you encountered.

Just adding the beer to a yeast cake (or adding the yeast cake to the beer, which may be a bit safer, oxidation wise) where the yeast has been dormant for a week or so is not going to knaw those few points off so easily.

To prevent such unexpected temp dips, is why many of us use a fermentation chamber, a temp controlled fridge or freezer usually, to keep temps stable, then ramp them up a few degrees toward the end to make sure she finished out and help with some conditioning.

You could try warming her up a few degrees, holding it steady at the higher temps for few more days, swirling gently once a day.
Chances are she's done.

As the title says can I transfer my NEIPA on a yeast cake from a blonde to finish fermentation. The FG is steady at 1.014 or should I let it be?

It's probably as done as it's going to get. Why it stopped where it did probably has more to do with the recipe and how you made it than the yeast.

Adding more sleeping yeast rarely helps a stalled fermentation. Might get some results with some active krausen, maybe. Kind of a longshot though.

There is a possibility the different yeast will finish out the wort to a lower final gravity. There is also the possibility you will introduce soapy off-flavors from the previous yeast cake which is full of trub from the last batch. If you want to do this, it would be better to first wash the yeast from the previous batch, then re-introduce it to your new batch. That way, trub from the yeast cake doesn't get added in to your NEIPA.

Last edited:
Just updating that the beer came out pretty darn good the yeast cleaned up the residual sugars down to 1.003 🍻

Latest posts

Back