Transfer 1G from Primary to Secondary Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scripto

Reaction score
I am transferring two 1G batches we brewed, trying to better understand the effects of different hops in the same beer.

We plan on transferring to a secondary fermentation vessel today, in order to take the beer off of the yeast cake, as well as remove some of the break which has formed and subsided at the top.

I assume I am going from 1G to another 1G with a racking cane. Trying to keep the bottom from touching the cane to keep the beer as clear as possible.

Any other suggestions, or tips? I have never used a secondary before, and especially with such a small batch.

Does the size of the batch change any of the periods of time for fermentation, or carbonation?

I don't think it will change fermentation or carbonation times. The only thing I would worry about would be too much headspace. If you're not transferring into fruit or some other adjunct I wouldn't bother with secondary. A lot of brewers feel it is unnecessary, however if you're going to secondary I've read some brewers will top up their fermenters/secondary to minimize risk of oxidation due to too large of a headspace. If worried about diluting a small batch I'd probably just sanitize some glass marbles or something similar that will take up space without affecting your brew.

Sent from somewhere to someone

The reason we wanted to transfer it to a secondary was to clarify the beer. Take it off of the yeast cake, and remove any of the sediment which is floating from the break. Should we just tackle this when transferring to bottling?

I would say yes, just do it at bottling. I do a lot of 1 gal test batches and I never secondary. Depending on the yeast it should drop clear on its own. If it doesn't, put the gallon in the fridge a couple days before bottling. I then hook my bottling wand up the the tubing from my racking cane (auto-siphon) and go directly from fermenter to bottle. I dose with carbonation tabs in each bottle. Works great, no problems with clarity. Anything under 2 gallons it seems like a waste to transfer even to a bottling bucket, and you are risking a lot of oxidation, which will ruin your idea of seeing what different hops do to your beer.

Back